Thread: ExpressCard to USB3.0 adapter, to use with 1TB or over external HDD, power issue

Beans

ExpressCard to USB3.0 adapter, to use with 1TB or over external HDD, power issue

Hi there,

I have an old laptop, bought in 2009 that only has 3 USB2.0 ports. The laptop has, however, an ExpressCard port that I was hoping I could use for a ExpressCard to USB3.0 adapter. Now I am constantly on the move, and external HDD that rely on their own power supply are not an option, so I was thinking I could buy an adapter that incorporates its own power cord-to-USB2.0 ("With USB bus power for external AC power supply", as they call it) to use solely for power supply, as seen for example here:

HTML Code:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Express-Card-Expresscard-54mm-to-USB-3-0x2-Port-Adapter-/270878627398?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item3f119fd646
    but this one has only 2 USB3.0 ports. Does any of you know of any similar adapter that has space for 4 or 5 USB3.0 ports? If this adapter does exist, will the power supply of one USB2.0 cable be enough to power 4 1TB or over external HDD?

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ExpressCard to USB3.0 adapter, to use with 1TB or over external HDD, power issue

It'd be a bit of a lashup but could you use a USB3 powered hub?

PC express card -> powered hub -> external USB drives

If I read your post correctly, you are connecting 4 external drives? If so I'd be a little skeptical about powering all of them via USB from a laptop. Will you normally have AC power available? Perhaps something along these lines?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEDNA-4-Port...item3ccecd3adf