Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secure Boot [ACCESS DENIED] Error After UBUNTU 12.04 Install

Beans

Secure Boot [ACCESS DENIED] Error After UBUNTU 12.04 Install

Hello,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire V5 Touchscreen Ultrabook. I decided to wipe my system clean and install Ubuntu. Unfortunately, I did not realize that I needed to change certain aspects of the Boot menu with Windows 8 before wiping it clean. After installing Ubuntu, I receive a tiny image that lets me know that "Secure Image Failed to Load *ACCESS DENIED* Click any key [OK]." After I click a key, a black screen shows up with a simple sentence at the top, "Operating System Not Found."

After examining many forums and doing a "boot repair," experimenting with renaming the EFI file in the USB (which actually caused the live CD not to start, I had to name it back), and reading very complex coding suggestions, I am at a loss as to what to do. It seems that most people have had this issue while installing dual booting, and I haven't found any forums that address what happens when you install Ubuntu only.

My boot repair link is: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5770382
    I also did a second one: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5770502

Any help is greatly appreciated!

JN
    Last edited by JaneNova; June 16th, 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Secure Boot [ACCESS DENIED] Error After UBUNTU 12.04 Install

You can turn secure boot off in UEFI settings and it should then boot.

Or you can boot a live system with Boot-Repair in secure boot mode and tick secure boot checkbox. It will then update grub and add signed kernels that will boot with secure boot on.

One user posted this which you probably need to do for those systems that only boot Windows with secure boot on:
    The key was to launch into Window 8 with secure boot enabled then choose Restart in Windows 8 selecting USB as the device to restart on.
    This is really strange since the big breakthrough was being able to run Boot Repair launched in "secure boot" mode and checking the "Secure Boot" checkbox in Boot Repair before running it.

http://www.zdnet.com/torvalds-clarif...on-7000011918/
    the whole UEFI thing is more about control than security

Since you have only one system installed, are you perhaps booting but having video issues?

If you hold shift key from UEFI/BIOS do you get a grub menu? Grub menu is not normally shown with one system as you do not need to normally choose which system to boot. Only if you need recovery or memtest would you want menu which shift should give you.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for replying @oldfred.

I only have one system installed and it will not boot. A boot menu does not show up, the image that says Secure Image *ACCESS DENIED* shows up, I press a key (and I tried hitting the F12 key when the ACER screen shows up), then it turns black and says Operating System Not Found. I called the ACER people since it's still under warranty to see if I could get the system restored back to factory settings (then I can take care of the boot stuff in Windows and try to re-install). Apparently, that will cost me 100 bucks?! I really want to try to hack this on my own, but I don't know what to do.

The only time GRUB shows up is if I use a LiveUSB. Otherwise, nothing. Now that Windows has been wiped off the system, I can't retroactively changed its boot settings. Not sure what I should do...!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can you not get into UEFI to turn off secure boot? That is a Microsoft requirement to offer Windows 8 that the user be able to turn secure boot off.

UEFI/BIOS Boot keys - about halfway down on this Microsoft page
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ows-to-go.aspx
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

@oldfred, correct. I did not do this *before* installing Ubuntu, and that caused the installation to result in the error message, "Operating System Not Found."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Since you have secure boot on, and can boot with Boot-Repair, you should be able to use Boot-Repair and tick the secure boot box. That will then install the shim file that has the Microsoft key, and install the signed kernels to boot with secure boot on.

Beans

@oldfred, thank you so much for helping me! I will try re-installing boot repair later this evening and reply ASAP.

Beans

@oldfred

I've read through all of the links that you provided, did another boot repair, and the system will not boot without a LiveUSB. I also tried to put in the Windows recovery CD, but it won't boot or respond or anything. The manufacturer will reset it back to factory settings for 100 bucks. I don't want to do that, but I'm frustrated that I bought a new computer and have no control over my OS. Again, I should have done my homework first, but how could I possibly know that BIOS was history?! Ugh, so so so upset....

I appreciate your help anyway...!

Would installing a different version of Ubuntu make a difference? I have 12.04 on that USB, but I could wipe it and re-install the latest version...

Thanks again!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Both UEFI from Vendor and Operating systems Windows & Linux are getting significant updates as UEFI and particularly Secure Boot are all new.

The latest may be a bit better, but some computers just have issues and it is the vendors fault as Ubuntu & secure boot do work for many.
    I am quite surprised they want $100 to fix system.

Post the link to a new run of the BootInfo report from Boot-Repair. But it also may need some settings in UEFI/BIOS which we cannot see and you may just have to try.
    Did your system boot with secure boot off? It should but many do not.
    Then many only boot the Windows efi file with secure boot on.

You can restore the Windows efi file and then it should directly boot Windows if you choose in in the UEFI boot menu (not grub).

To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair.
    A user disabled secure boot, and unchecked it in boot-repair. It now bypasses Grub and goes straight in to Windows.

That should work but Windows also keeps a copy of its boot loader file:

Windows UEFI install should have backup of bootmgfw.efi here:
    C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi from a working Windows x86_64 installation.
    You should be able to copy to the efi partition in the Windows folder. Depending on how you mount it, it will be here, but the /boot/efi is from inside a working Ubuntu. If from liveCD it will be /media/....

/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi

Beans

@oldfred, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry but I am a bit intimidated by the language you use to fix the system. In particular, my understanding is inhibited by the fact that Windows no longer exists on my system, so I don't know how restoring a windows file will then boot back to Windows. This is all over my head. If I rename files, what should they be renamed to? I am assuming the system is booting with secure something because that is precisely what won't let me bypass the ACCESS DENIED error message. GRUB menu shows up only when a LiveUSB is inserted. Again, I apologize for being below the learning curve of many Linux users, but if you break it down for me I am willing to learn and try to fix the error so that other users in my situation don't have to go through this! Much appreciation for your speedy responses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast