Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot install Xubuntu 13 on PC with old 4:3 monitor. Screen just goes blank.

Beans

Cannot install Xubuntu 13 on PC with old 4:3 monitor. Screen just goes blank.

Hi.

Help! I can't install Xubuntu 13 onto an older PC with an old 4:3 monitor. The computer boots up into its old BIOS start up thing like it did for Windows XP, then it says it is booting off the CD, then does the Xubuntu Install image of keyboard + man in a circle icon, then I get a blinking cursor in upper left corner, then I get the error "OverSize Recommand Mode 1280 x 1024", then the screen goes blank.

"http://imgur.com/fMe1yKW" has a picture example of what is going on.

The monitor is an old
    "Kogi L7EH-TA" monitor with Model "L7EH-TA_QD63V-2000-KG2".
    It is roughly a 17 inches across from opposing corners (roughly 13.5 inches wide & 10.5 inches tall).
    It appears to be a 4:3 ratio monitor, but it seems to want a recommended resolution of "1280 x 1024", which I guess would really make it that oddball 5:4 ratio.

What can I do to install Xubuntu on this PC / Monitor? Thank you.
    Last edited by queazy03; June 16th, 2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: made hyper link to URL of imgur example image

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Cannot install Xubuntu 13 on PC with old 4:3 monitor. Screen just goes blank.

How does it work with the alternate ISO (Lubuntu)?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: Cannot install Xubuntu 13 on PC with old 4:3 monitor. Screen just goes blank.

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    How does it work with the alternate ISO (Lubuntu)?
    I don't even know what that is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by queazy03 View Post
    I don't even know what that is.
    They're Ubuntu editions with a less fancy installer and a higher chance of working on older machines. Unfortunately, they are very well hidden and I can't find 'm at the moment ...

Oh, actually I found out why: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE2OTk

In their infinite wisdom, canonical decided to drop Alternate installers?

You can still get one for Lubuntu, though: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO
    Last edited by user_of_gnomes; June 16th, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Beans

Have you considered throwing money at the problem and simply upgrading to a computer on this list (and a new monitor)?

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/

Or purchase a machine with Ubuntu preinstalled such as System 76?

https://www.system76.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That would not be my advice.
    Plenty of tests and workarounds to try before giving up on the hardware.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

---IGNORE---[strike]Well...there is one thing I can try. I can borrow a monitor that is more modern and not 4:3, install it on with that monitor, and then change it later. I was able to do this on another machine, so I think I will try that. I'd rather avoid this, because the person whose monitor I'm borrowing this from does not like to lend it, so I will try to make it quick. Will update thread with results later.[/strike]---IGNORE---
    Woops...I just remembered, this MIGHT not work. Doing this allows Xubuntu to change the resolution to a resolution low enough for this old monitor to handle, but only after you have logged in. The Login screen isn't visible at this time if I remember right. I'll try this though, maybe even using two monitors connected to the PC (with old monitor as main screen and a newer monitor as secondary screen). Hopefully it works. Thank you all, I greatly appreciate your advice.
    Last edited by queazy03; June 17th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.

Beans

What can I do now that I am getting the error "error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'"?

Ok, I tried plugging in another monitor temporarily, and before it finished installing I plugged in the older 4:3 monitor and it worked. However I'm getting this error now
    "error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'"
    and I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. A google search has somewhat confused me, having something to do with something called "Grub" (no clue what that is), and the Xubuntu OS trying to install itself on the hard drive but leaving too little space left over for the BIOS to work properly... well that is what it seems with my limited grasp of the subject.

Here is a picture at "http://imgur.com/kgTG6FR".

What can I do now that I am getting the error "error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'"?
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This is old gear. Please post a complete hardware description.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

and I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. A google search has somewhat confused me, having something to do with something called "Grub" (no clue what that is), and the Xubuntu OS trying to install itself on the hard drive but leaving too little space left over for the BIOS to work properly... well that is what it seems with my limited grasp of the subject.
    The BIOS is not situated on the hard drive. (Although parts of the user interface might be on certain Compaq/HP systems but that is most likely not applicable here and even if it was and you'd wipe the hard drive, it would function regardless.)

Also, you might want to diagnose that hard drive to make sure it's O.K.

I've only skimmed over this thread and it seems to me that your combination of monitor and videocard might not be optimal. You could try a different videocard or use some of the boot options as discussed here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Ubuntu has no problem working with 1280x1024. I installed it on 15" monitors with 8MB videocards and although you can get some funky results, it pans out right most of the time.
    Why don't you try Lubuntu with the alternate installer like you were recommended to do earlier?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast