Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any viruses for ubuntu?

Beans

Are there any viruses for ubuntu?

Just Wondering.

YAY! A bean!
    Last edited by Iowan; June 15th, 2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Merged posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Are there any viruses for ubuntu?

Anyone could potentially include malicious code into an application but the nature of Ubuntu being open would make it very difficult to do so. Any software from the software centre will be virus free. Anything you pick up from elsewhere on the internet has the potential to have malicious code so caution as to who the developer is should always be taken, but I have never heard of anyone trying to push malicious code to a Linux user.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, from what I know their are viruses for Ubuntu, just like any OS. Not really many though. And it is much easier to stay secure on this OS compared to others. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

That link is to a sticky with basically everything you need to know about security. If you have not, set up your firewall, turn java off when you are not using it and update regulary and you should be fine. If you need to know what ports to allow for your own set up on the firewall. (Like if you bridge xbox 360 through the ubuntu to get to the internet.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...P_port_numbers

There is a list for ports. To enable your firewall. sudo ufw enable. is the code you will want to use along with password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nobody knows because Linux users religiously follow five seconds rule.
    Poor viruses doesn't survive under such circumstances.

Beans
    Distro

Velnias is right about that. Viruses even when there is one floating about, tends to die off pretty quick. I have heard of one guy getting a Virus on Ubuntu, he found it quick and reported it, formatted, reinstalled. Quidsup or something like that on youtube was his name. He tends to talk about Linux and does reviews of different distros. Especally the Ubuntu flavors.

Beans
    Hidden!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

@OP read those guides carefully , That will help you to protect yourself.
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

I heard of Quidsup. He trolled that windows scammer, right?

Beans

Thanks for all the replies, this really helped.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

One thing that can help when you're surfing the web is to install NoScript. It basically disables your Javascript until you allow it on a site. I only allow it on trusted sites that I hang out or sites where I know it'll be safe to allow it to run.
    There's not much "in the wild" that will attack a Linux OS but you can pick up stuff that'll attack Windows OS and pass it on if you're not careful. Just use ClamTK to do a scan and you can delete anything you might have picked up that'll mess with Windows users.
    A big part of why I lived a happy life with Mac OS X was because of it's resistance to picking up anything nasty but with more iPhones and iPads hitting the market Mac OS is starting to see more junk floating around. Linux, on the other hand, is still only used by a very few folks who are in the know about things and understand that it's sometimes better to NOT run with the crowd and use Windows like everyone else but to get an Op System that still works great but isn't as prone to picking up stuff that will affect it.
    I personally think that I will never run any other Op System on my computers that's not Linux based. Linux based OS are reliable, fast, resistant to virus/ma lware/spy ware and best of all they're FREE. It really makes me wonder why folks would run anything else on their computers, I mean people actually pay for Windows OS which are well known to be buggy, have tons of problems with viruses and are generally not as stable and require more work to keep them running. It just doesn't make any sense to pay for all that misery.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro

@Bombtrust, Yes that is the guy! XD

@TNFrank, I just went and installed NoScript not that long ago, I have enjoyed it greatly. The one on firefox store is out of date, but they took me to their site to update it to the latest one right away. Second thing, people not using Linux and going and buying windows, because every two three monthes they get ransomware on their machines, is beyond me.

One family had a Windows 7 acer-laptop. I told them if they were going to install another OS, Go with Ubuntu or a flavor of it, made sure there was nothing they needed on windows. (all they did was browse facebook.) They liked it. Then came back and told me this. " I installed Linux in Windows, and it made it slow... So I deleted it." Mind you, not in a virtual machine or anything like that, they were saying it was a program. So they lied to me, and I just let it go for a couple monthes, they spent a hundred bucks on windows thing A (beats the heck out of me what.) Turns out for a month they no longer could even boot up because it was so locked down. I took the laptop, plugged my liveUSB in, and was on their computer in seconds.

They were shocked and amazed how fast it ran, and asked me to install that and delete windows. So I reformatted the HDD, put Xubuntu 12.04 on it, boom, they have not had a computer problem since. After that, I offered to put Skype on there. "No, I do not want to have to pay for that." Me: "It is free, I use it all the time..." Them: "On windows it was not free...." Me: "It was ransomware..." After seeing that, just let it go, skype is not that big a deal, and I do not care if they want to use it or not.

A big part why people only use Windows, is because that is what comes on computers, and 2. it cost money. Sadly, ignorance makes you believe the more you pay for something, the better it is, when really the best things in life are free. (For the computer world, Ubuntu.) Even now with steam on Linux, and the fact some big games are on there, has not made the switch for most users. It really is ignorance of it. So it is good to educate people in a non rude manner on Linux.

I mean you know take a look, most people who even know what Linux is, think Ubuntu will be super hard to use, and nearly impossible to learn, when that is far from the truth. Sure, I might use the CLI from time to time, but I did on Windows too.

Many think there are not many viruses on Ubuntu because few people know about it.

Well, it is up in the millions of people that use it. (More so than the site might know, because it is not like people do not share liveCDs or install on other peoples machines too. Not to mention sharing computers. So people scale is more likely higher.) And we are not seeing rampant viruses like we are on windows. Well, I tell you, it is not because there are few people that use it, it is just updated faster, and reviewed on many levels for issues. Windows = over a million viruses that work. Linux = at most hundreds. (if you go by the wikipedia on the subject, many tell me there are only really about 40+ viruses.) And even then, most are not out in the wild. Ubuntu is just better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast