Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who Uses a Mouse with their Laptop?

Beans

Re: Who Uses a Mouse with their Laptop?

I do when on my desk I have a wireless logitech mouse which travels with the laptop and I use it whenever there is a flat surface at hand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use the touchpad exclusively on my laptop ... I use a mouse or tablet on my desktop for editing photos, the touchpad is certainly not the correct tool for this!
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans

I only use a mouse because I cannot find a decent Bluetooth trackball.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Since i'm left handed, it just makes sense and feels right to use a mouse. I do about half and half. This post, however is via a non mouse.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post
    I don't! I use a trackball instead!

Weird it seems it's getting harder & harder to find them in stores anymore. Mice everywhere, but usually only ONE basic model trackball.
    Do you know about trackballworld.com? I too am a trackball user and the good ones are getting scarce. Microsoft's trackball explorer was highly regarded but didn't last and Logitech has discontinued their wireless optical trackman which are now going for $150+ on Ebay. I think Logitech discontinued the wrong model.

Beans

It depends on what I'm doing. I like using a mouse for stuff like spreadsheets and desktop publishing. Otherwise I don't mind the trackpad (in all its fickle glory) as I am usually too lazy to plug in the mouse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I try to use the touchpad. I try. I can only use it left handed, and it's awkward. My cursor ends up jumping all over my document and I find myself suddenly typing about three paragraphs above where I should have been.

I turn off the touchpad, and I can use the mouse with either hand, and typing is easy.

I can use the touchpad at a pinch, where space is really short, but it's only much good for browsing and reading, not for doing extensive work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I use a mouse with mine as well. While I've configured my touchpad to be as comfortable as possible, (No click on touch, horizontal scrolling enabled, etc.) I have to switch fingers a lot while working on art, or else that gets painful very quickly. It's why I have a USB HP-branded mouse, and it's better for games anyway. ^^ (My aim with a touchpad in OpenArena is a joke. Couldn't hit an elephant if it was standing there.)

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post
    I don't! I use a trackball instead!

Weird it seems it's getting harder & harder to find them in stores anymore. Mice everywhere, but usually only ONE basic model trackball.
    Oh man, I wish I had a trackball instead of touchpad, those things are so cool. O : < That would be a lot less stress on my fingers, haha.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yep, I can't abide touchpads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Interesting responses to my question. Seems many folks prefer a mouse.

It's been a couple of days for me with Ubuntu on the Macbook and I'm trying out Touchegg to configure touchpad gestures. It seems quite capable. Even using the mouse now, when I'm using the keyboard I find myself automatically trying to use the pad just as if I was still in OS X.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast