Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: internet connection problems after fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

internet connection problems after fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hello:

Completely new to Linux, but I am trying my best. I apologize if I add more information than is needed, as I am still figuring out how to troubleshoot.

Hardware:
    VGA ASUS HD 7770-2GD5 2Gb Ram
    8Gbx2-GSkill F3-1866c10D-16Gb Ram
    128 GB Samsung SSD
    HDD 3Tb Toshiba DT01ACA300
    CPU-AMD-8Core-FX-8320-3.5G-8M-R
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    Asus PCE-N10 Wireless-N Network Adapter (150 Mbs Transmit/Recieve) PCI-E interface-WPS
    ASUS Vs228-H-P 22-Inch Full-HD 2ms LED-Lit LCD Monitor

System: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on entire SSD.

This is my first build, and I first dual installed Windows 8 and then ubuntu 12.04. Both worked fine, with no issues that I could find. But I hated Windows, so I decided to use a Linux only distro. I tried for many days to install Debian (over the other OS's and not next to them), but it was to complex, and I couldn't handle the amount of problems I was having. So, I decided to do a fresh install of the entire SSD. Ubuntu installed correctly (from bootable usb) but could not connect to the Internet to install the rest of the packages, drivers, firmware, etc. My wireless N-adapter shows my networks, but when I give it the correct password for my network it connects for about 15 seconds and then kicks me off. It also will not connect to an Ethernet cable. I cannot use my usb ports, I cannot use my mouse. I can navigate to a terminal with my wired keyboard, and navigate the folders/files. I tried: sudo apt-get update and other update commands, but without Internet there is nothing I can do. Help please.

Beans

Re: internet connection problems after fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

How about plug your wireless adapter out and plug it back again?

Thanks Sylvesteryoo. I did try that, and it did not help.

Beans

Sometimes wireless can be tricky - there are a couple of sticky threads in the 'Networking and Wireless' subforum with troubleshooting hints

To start, please open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and post the results of this command which should identify exactly what chipset we are dealing with

Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -e '\[0200\]' -e '\[0280\]'
    You can get further device / driver info with

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    I *think* it's a Realtek-based device and may need some work to get working in 12.04 but let's see

07:00 network controller [0280]: realtek semiconductor Co,. Ltd. RTL818CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter [10ec:8176] (rev 01)

the second command gives: a lot of info, but I can't copy paste it. here is the serial 10:bf:48:4a:84:ab

Beans

I believe you should concentrate on installing the Ethernet first, and then the wireless, once you can update the software through the Ethernet.

Do you have any other information about the ethernet adapter?

I will check later, as well as typing all the info from the second command. For now I am AFK. The girlfriend is dragging me to dinner. Suppose I have to eat at some point...

Sorry it took so long: I had to type it all by hand and it is like 02:00 here. I really appreciate the help.
    after: sudo lshw -c network
    I get the following:
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet phy
    sical tp mii 10 bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=
    2.3LK NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl8168e-3_0.0.4 03/27/12 latency=0 link=no
    multicast=yes port=MII speed=10mbit/s
    resources: irq:75 ioport:b000(size=256) memory:d0004000-d0004fff memory:d0000000-d0003ff
    *-network
    description: wireless interface
    product: RTL8188CE 802.11/g/n wifi Adapter
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    Physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000.07.00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    serial: 10:bf:48:4a:84:ab
    width: 64 bits
    clock 33 MHz
    cpabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192ce driverversion=IEEE 802.11bgn
    resources: irq:19 ioport:a000(size=256) memory:fe500000-fe503fff

My router is an old linksys, and my provider is comcast. I have the same problem with the direct wired ethernet, it only connects for a couple seconds and then disconnects. I can access the ip and netmask info from my laptop. Is there any other information I need to configure a wired or wireless conection? I don't think that the wireless receiver is at fault, since it show all of the networks. Also, I had found a similar post earlier, but i did not understand its relevance to my issue. : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121599

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

That's very unusual, AM3+ platform is very well supported. Install takes less than 15 mins, can you reinstall using a different installation medium?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast