Thread: Intermittent 403 Forbidden from Apache/suphp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Intermittent 403 Forbidden from Apache/suphp

So, I've noticed a strange occurence on my server. Occasionally the client will get a "Forbidden: You don't have permission to access / on this server." error from the server. Recently I installed suphp and switched from prefork to worker MPM. So far so good, except for this strange behavior.

It's fairly easy to reproduce: Simply reload the website 5-6 times. Then you'll start getting the error message, and then just let it be for about 15 seconds and then you can reload the site just fine. Hammer it with 5-6 reloads and again you'll get the Forbidden error. You can try it yourself with my photoblog. Just force-reload it a few times and boom. Then back off about 15 seconds or so and you're good to go again.

I've tried to figure out why this happens but I am now at my wits end. The only useful thing I've managed to google is this page which suggests it's a timeout issue which might seem appropriate. Not sure how to fix that though. Other than that, nothing have helped me much.

When poking through the logs, the error that gets logged is [error] [client IP-ADRESS OF CLIENT] client denied by server configuration: /home/username/sitename/etc/etc/etc

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04, 64-bit. All patched up. Apache 2.22. MPM is Worker and I've installed suphp.

--- SOLVED: It was mod_evasive that triggered this behavior. I discovered I had somehow somewhen installed it and that's the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience, I hope other people who have this problem finds this thread.
    Last edited by isecore; June 15th, 2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Polarbears with machetes
    Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Intermittent 403 Forbidden from Apache/suphp

Quote Originally Posted by isecore View Post
    So, I've noticed a strange occurence on my server. Occasionally the client will get a "Forbidden: You don't have permission to access / on this server." error from the server. Recently I installed suphp and switched from prefork to worker MPM. So far so good, except for this strange behavior.

It's fairly easy to reproduce: Simply reload the website 5-6 times. Then you'll start getting the error message, and then just let it be for about 15 seconds and then you can reload the site just fine. Hammer it with 5-6 reloads and again you'll get the Forbidden error. You can try it yourself with my photoblog. Just force-reload it a few times and boom. Then back off about 15 seconds or so and you're good to go again.

I've tried to figure out why this happens but I am now at my wits end. The only useful thing I've managed to google is this page which suggests it's a timeout issue which might seem appropriate. Not sure how to fix that though. Other than that, nothing have helped me much.

When poking through the logs, the error that gets logged is [error] [client IP-ADRESS OF CLIENT] client denied by server configuration: /home/username/sitename/etc/etc/etc

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04, 64-bit. All patched up. Apache 2.22. MPM is Worker and I've installed suphp.

--- SOLVED: It was mod_evasive that triggered this behavior. I discovered I had somehow somewhen installed it and that's the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience, I hope other people who have this problem finds this thread.
    mod_evasive is to block floods
    Turn the settings up a bit, so that you can set how many times the site can be loaded per second at per ip
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Intermittent 403 Forbidden from Apache/suphp

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    mod_evasive is to block floods
    Turn the settings up a bit, so that you can set how many times the site can be loaded per second at per ip
    Yeah, I know what it's for

I was just too dimwitted to realize I had installed it. Currently I have no use for flood-protection but apparently at some point in the last year and a half I got paranoid and installed it.
    Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.