Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I no longer wish to support Microsoft by using their products

Beans

I no longer wish to support Microsoft by using their products

After everything Microsoft has admitted to recently, I no longer wish to support Microsoft by using their products or buying Windows programs. I have questions concerning Ubuntu's capabilities.

• I play piano through a virtual instrument program, Kontakt 5. Looking at the wineHQ, Kontakt does not do too good on Wine. This is essentially all I do on the computer that is Windows dependent.
    • I've never used a virtualbox program before, and I don't know if MIDI controllers are able to be ran through a virtual instance.. Can virtualbox handle heavy MIDI input?
    • How well does Ubuntu support MIDI controllers, and is there any alternative to Kontakt 5 that is able to run Kontakt plug-ins?

The program and were plugin were very expensive at the time and I'm apprehensive about no longer using them.
    I'm also apprehensive about using a virtualbox since I would still have to use Windows, though it's an alright tradeoff as I'm not using it as my default OS.

Please also be advised I'm aware there is Ubuntu Music Studio, and it does not suit my needs. I don't mix, master, or create music using programs. I simply play it through them, as it sounds and handles better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I no longer wish to support Microsoft by using their products

Concerning your VirtualBox question. A VirtualBox is, essentially, another computer. What a virtualbox is capable of, will depend entirely (and solely) on the amount of each resource you give to it.
    Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaaaay!!!.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Reavie818 View Post
    ...I'm also apprehensive about using a virtualbox since I would still have to use Windows, though it's an alright tradeoff as I'm not using it as my default OS...
    Not only would you have to use it, more importantly, you would have to REINSTALL it, along with all your apps. VB is just an empty container, it's not useful until something is in it.

And, as folks have said, there are hardware limitations on using VB.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Not only would you have to use it, more importantly, you would have to REINSTALL it, along with all your apps. VB is just an empty container, it's not useful until something is in it.

And, as folks have said, there are hardware limitations on using VB.

So I would have to reinstall Windows and my programs every time I want to use the VB?

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bristol might catch your attention
    http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/inde..._Bristol_Organ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For a person that is not wanting to support MS any longer then I highly suggest you start searching for Linux software than fit your purpose than using virtual box to continue using MS products. I'm sure if you look around you'll find a program to replace what you got now. Just give it time. I'm 99% Linux now and only have 2 programs left that require VB for.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Reavie818; Hi ! My welcome to the forum.
    In addition to others encouragement to employ ubuntu...I offer that "music" at large is very well supported in our operating system of choice.
    Fire up any means of booting ubuntu and in terminal run the command:
    Code:
    apt-cache search music
    the return will be overwhelming for the present... but will serve to give you and idea as to how well "music" is supported.

May I make the suggestion that you install ubuntu along side of Windows and get comfortable with ubuntu before you forsake Windows.
    There is a learning curve to functioning in ubuntu and depending on your background, may take some time to make the adjustment.

hope this helps and jump to ubuntu

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Reavie818 View Post
    So I would have to reinstall Windows and my programs every time I want to use the VB?
    No. Just once.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

With virtulal box you still need to install a copy of Windows (in vbox) so you are still using MS products. If you want to quit Windows altogether you may want to look at a Native Linux alternative for your program. My suggestion would be to open a thread in the multimedia subforum and see what suggestions you get.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I appreciate the sentiments of all, but there really is nothing like Kontakt in Ubuntu (unless you've had the time and skill to code something like it). My advice, stick with Win for pro-level or high end stuff. I am not flaming, I speak from experience; there is no Sibelius or Pro-Tools in Ubuntu. Sure, you can cobble together a Linux studio, but if you're used to using things like Cubase, Reason, Ableton, the list goes on, then prepare for the learning curve. Fine if you have the time and inclination. I am not saying I like it, just saying that's how it is. And don't get me wrong, there is some damn fine Linux audio software, and used at a pro-level (Audacity to name one).

For listening to music, Ubuntu's great, plenty of choice. For covering the same bases as something like Kontakt, I wouldn't go there. Why not dual-boot and then you can feel half emancipated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast