Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl to MP3

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Vinyl to MP3

You say the turntable has twin "phono" jacks? (I assume you mean RCA.) Get a cable which will take that to 3.5 mm stereo and plug it into line-in, or plug it into a small amp, and from there to line-in.

Alternatively, just bit-torrent download the tracks you legitimately own. I was capturing my favorite tracks, turntable to amp to line-in to Audacity. My son challenged me: "can you capture a track faster than I can bit-torrent it?" It wasn't close.

Beans

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, only just clocked the thread.

I'd be suspicious of the turntable. I rigged up my 30 year old turntable through the amp and into desktop PC. One issue I had was sound cards, bulk standard ones may distort even if levels look OK. But in the end all sounded great.

Hope I don't get booted off the forum for mentioning...I used a Windows-based programme called Wave Corrector (easy to find on google). I can't recommend it highly enough - got rid of pops, scratches etc, even ones I thought beyond hope. Haven't tried any Linux alternatives as it works so well. It might deal with your rumble, but as I said at the start, I suspect that turntable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

gordintoronto - I'm not 100% sure of the legality of downloading tracks, but I've got about 4,000 to do, and a bandwidth limit of only 10GB a month. I haven't used Bit Torrent, but a lot of the older stuff on YouTube is of poor quality, and not everything is there.

I'll have to look into Bit Torrent, but my understanding so far (possibly wrong) is that it's a bit like the old version of Napster in that it's two way sharing, which would devour that monthly bandwidth allowance. I'll certainly investigate it though.

23senic - I don't use Windoze (or Wine), but what you said about Wave Corrector gives me hope of finding a solution if there's an equivalent that will work with Ubuntu.

You (and others) are probably right about it being the turntable though, certainly where the rumble is concerned. I'll keep trying for a bit longer, but it's looking as if I've wasted my money (and all those spare styli I bought with it ).

I'd appreciate it if anyone can recommend a decent turntable (available new if possible) that isn't ridiculously expensive, in view of the fact that it will be redundant when the job is done. Perhaps we'll be able to sort the present problem out, but I'd like to know what's available - and good - in case I do have to give up on the one I've got.

Beans
    Distro

I don't really want to detract from the original purpose of this thread, which is lack of level control, turntable rumble and excessive surface hiss when attempting to use a USB turntable to copy vinyl records to the computer, but Bit Torrent has been mentioned, and I can't work out how to use it.

Seemingly as part of the original install, I have "Transmission BitTorrent Client" in my start menu, so I had a look at it, but it asks for a URL. How do I find a URL?

I've never used file sharing before, in case it's not obvious.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I will try to provide the scoop on bit torrents...

If you own a vinyl record, it is completely legal for you to download an MP3 of that record. It's called "backup." Mind you, I am not a lawyer, so I can't provide legal advice. My guru on copyright is Brad Templeton: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

The starting point is Google. For example, I own Art Garfunkel's Breakaway album, and one of the songs is "I only have eyes for you." So I Google "I only have eyes for you garfunkel torrent" and get several results. The second one takes me to a site where there's a download link for a "torrent" file. (Torrents are quite small, typically a few dozen KB.) In my file manager, I right-click on the torrent, and select "open with Transmission...." Transmission opens up, but we're not quite done. I need to select the file I want and then click on "open." If you're lucky, the MP3 will be on your system in a few minutes.

The system is not perfect. You will come across sites which want you to install a "download manager" (for Windows) and most of them are pure malware.

You will also see the terms "seeders" and "leechers." A seeder is a person you is offering a file, a leecher is downloading. If you want a file and there are no seeders, you will never get it.

It's worthwhile to become familiar with bit torrent downloads, because on the day a new version of Ubuntu is released, by far the best way to get it is by bit torrent.

Clarification: the actual torrent I selected was for the entire Breakaway album -- and it downloaded in less time than it took to write this message.

Music files aren't very big. A typical MP3 is less than 10 MB. Even so, 4000 songs is a lot of data traffic.
    Last edited by gordintoronto; June 23rd, 2013 at 01:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you own a vinyl record, it is completely legal for you to download an MP3 of that record. It's called "backup."
    I agree that it is probably legal to download as a backup. The problem I see is that BitTorrent is also simultaneously uploading the file so you are actually distributing it as well. That's when the lawyers will descend on you like a ton of bricks.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you both for the latest info. It seems I need to be careful due to the re-uploading issue, but I'll certainly investigate further and familiarise myself with the process.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I bought an Audio-Techica USB turntable from Amazon for about $100. So far my experiences with it have been pretty mixed.

On my turntable, there is a physical switch that controls the output level. You might see whether there is an equivalent adjustment on yours to avoid the over-modulation problem.

My problem is the loud tape hiss on my rather elderly albums. This is especially noticeable on classical recordings with wide dynamic range. I found I could do a decent job of filtering it out with Audacity by having it sample the first few seconds of a track before the music began. Still the amount of effort involved in trying to make decent copies of the albums has put me off the enterprise for a while.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 23rd, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Slightly off-topic but might have some resonance for USA readers:
    During WWII my father was a stoker in the Royal Navy. The ship was torpedoed in heavy seas in the Atlantic and was holed above the water line. It managed to limp into North Carolina for repairs. During this time, presumably at a funfair booth, he recorded a vinyl 45 and sent it to my mother.
    I have this record in my desk drawer but have never heard it. I keep meaning to make an MP3 but it would be strange to hear my father's voice from before I was born. Both of my parents are dead now.
    Any thoughts?
    Apologies to the OP but this just came to my mind. (three glasses of wine may have made me somewhat nostalgic)

Beans
    Distro

Here is a "HowTo" from computer world. They have some of the better turntables that you might recognize. What you already tried might work in WINE. Have you tried audacity in WINE for this?
    Ubuntu 12.04.2_amd_64_LTS on Desktop run by Intel core I5 3570K on Asus P8Z77-V Pro MB

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on Lenovo N500 laptop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast