Thread: How to get Owner root for permanently?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Unhappy How to get Owner root for permanently?

In some places I can not paste files. In properties, it says Owner: root and I am not the owner, so I cannot change these permissions. How to get Owner root for permanently? [not for short time] What I have to do?

root.jpeg

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How to get Owner root for permanently?

First, I think you need to read this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

It doesn't answer your question specifically, but does tell you what you need to know about the root account and how to gain root privileges temporarily. Please do not ask how to gain root privileges permanently - this is bad and unsafe practice.

But to your specific point. Why are you trying to change permissions on the root-owned /opt folder? Trying to change permissions on anything owned by root in a system folder, or a system folder, is a bad idea and might break your system. If you tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve with /opt, the someone can advise you how to go about it.

If the problem is simply that you want to copy/move files into /opt, then changing permissions on the /opt folder is not the way to go about it. The link above will help but, again, tell us what you are trying to do and someone will be able to help.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your quick answer. I just wanted to move lamp to opt. Thats all. any other way?

Beans
    Distro

got it by "gksudo nautilus". Thanks bro for making aware about opt. Thanks again