Thread: Now this it Totally UBER COOL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Now this it Totally UBER COOL.

Believe it or not I'm on the interweb typing this here booted from a 256MB USB drive with Tiny CorePlus(65MB install) on it and Firefox 10. Talk about a Very Light Weight Op System and still, here I am just like someone would be with their bloated Windows 8 Op System.LOL. One thing I love about CorePlus is that it detected my WiFi without a hitch, which Puppy or Damnsmall couldn't do. A quick install of Firefox and I'm surffing the web. If I'd have had Tiny CorePlus in the early '80's I'd be a millionaire right now because all we had were those stupid DOS 3.1 Op Systems to mess round with,LOL. Anyway, if you guys have a small USB sitting around and you'd like to play with a VSOS(Very Small Op System) give CorePlus a try.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Now this it Totally UBER COOL.

Tinycore also runs on RaspberryPi boards--a reasonably complete computer the size of a pack of cards and the power use of a night light.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Believe it or not I'm on the interweb typing this here booted from a 256MB USB drive with Tiny CorePlus(65MB install) on it and Firefox 10...If I'd have had Tiny CorePlus in the early '80's I'd be a millionaire right now because all we had were those stupid DOS 3.1 Op Systems to mess round with,LOL.
    I've heard that Tiny Core is a decent little system. It's not for me, but I respect it as a good lightweight choice.

However, you wouldn't be able to run Tiny Core in the early 1980s. Computers in the early 80s didn't come with hard disks, and the only models available would still be too small for Tiny Core. I'm also quite sure Tiny Core requires more than 1 megabyte of RAM, and would go pretty slowly on an 8 MHz CPU.

I seem to recall that USB wasn't invented yet either.

But I like your sentiment anyway
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Had to check - it looks like the first machines TinyCore could theoretically run on were released somewhere between 1987 and 1990. = ) Apparently, later models of the IBM PS/2 had the processor and could support the RAM. And this is the the system that introduced VGA and PS/2 ports, so it has those going for it. = )
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 14th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Tiny core possible could run on a 386DX (32bit), but dear lord dont think Firefox would ever open up..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think it would matter. Early i486 machines didn't have remotely enough RAM, from what I'm seeing, so that seems to be the bottleneck.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Nice

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As I remember MS-DOS 3.1 was released for a 286 processor with 1M RAM. Try running Tiny Core on that machine. A large hard disk for that era was an 80M hard drive.

Beans

Cool Re: Now this it Totally UBER COOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    [...] However, you wouldn't be able to run Tiny Core in the early 1980s. Computers in the early 80s didn't come with hard disks, and the only models available would still be too small for Tiny Core. I'm also quite sure Tiny Core requires more than 1 megabyte of RAM, and would go pretty slowly on an 8 MHz CPU.

I seem to recall that USB wasn't invented yet either.

But I like your sentiment anyway
    Yeah, what were those 5.25" things, 120K?! Spring for the extra 2nd drive, whoooo-hooo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    As I remember MS-DOS 3.1 was released for a 286 processor with 1M RAM. Try running Tiny Core on that machine. A large hard disk for that era was an 80M hard drive.
    8088 processor with up to 1meg, though only 640k was available for conventional memory use, the rest had to be loaded as extended memory. What fun those days were.