Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enough with the mobile stuff...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Enough with the mobile stuff...

Unless the carriers start advertising and carrying Ubuntu phones, I don't see much hope for that platform. How is Canonical going to convince Verizon to push Ubuntu phones? Usually the answer is cooperative marketing agreements where the hardware manufacturer picks up part of the cost of advertising and the carrier picks up the rest. Google, Apple and Microsoft have billions of dollars to throw at this task. Canonical?

Blackberry is a widely-known brand in mobile. How is it doing these days?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    That's like saying Apple should have never tried because Nokia and Blackberry dominated prior to iphone, and that Android shouldn't have tried because iOS was dominant, or that Google shouldn't have tried because everyone else was using Alta Vista. There's always churn in mobile and I don't like the walled garden of iOS or the sluggishness of Android; what's wrong with providing people an alternative?
    Why should Ubuntu succeed though? What makes it special? Why does Ubuntu phone OS stand out? Does it have the innovation that the first iPhone had? Does it have the extremely loyal fan base and cool factor that Apple does? Does it have the good timing and the backing of one of the biggest tech companies in the world like Android did? Does it do smartphones better than its competitors like Google did searching better? For me, there is absolutely nothing special about Ubuntu phone OS. It is simply another phone OS. As a consumer, I would not go out of my way to buy it, and might specifically try to avoid it due to its lack of apps, and as a hardware manufacturer (if I was one), I would not invest my time or money in it when there is currently no need to change from Android and when doing so might actually mean a lose for me.

Ubuntu can try to provide an alternative, but if it doesnt stand out from the rest, it will fail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Unless the carriers start advertising and carrying Ubuntu phones, I don't see much hope for that platform. How is Canonical going to convince Verizon to push Ubuntu phones?
    Canonical know this which is why their initial target market isn't the US. Instead they are aiming for emerging markets where the number of people who own smartphones is still relatively low.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...ing-economies/
    Cheesemill

Beans

Why should Ubuntu succeed though? What makes it special? Why does Ubuntu phone OS stand out? Does it have the innovation that the first iPhone had? Does it have the extremely loyal fan base and cool factor that Apple does? Does it have the good timing and the backing of one of the biggest tech companies in the world like Android did? Does it do smartphones better than its competitors like Google did searching better?
    Yes there is a lot of innovation going on that separates Ubuntu from the rest and yes the fan base is extremely loyal and Ubuntu is cool. The timing is good because there is no GNU/Linux mobile platforms on the marker ATM and this is about to change. Qt/QML + Linux is something it was expected Nokia will push but they went for WP instead but this still will happen and Ubuntu it looks like it will be one of the first...

For me, there is absolutely nothing special about Ubuntu phone OS. It is simply another phone OS. As a consumer, I would not go out of my way to buy it, and might specifically try to avoid it due to its lack of apps, and as a hardware manufacturer (if I was one), I would not invest my time or money in it when there is currently no need to change from Android and when doing so might actually mean a lose for me.

Ubuntu can try to provide an alternative, but if it doesnt stand out from the rest, it will fail.
    OEMs doesn't have to make too much effort in the end it's still Linux and if it works with Android... And OEMs already support Linux to be honest in great extent especially on mobile and the thing can only improve with time (next generation display server). And look at the desktop situation where Microsoft OS + Apple are going strong BUT you are still here enjoying Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; June 14th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    But there is Windows OS on the desktop and Apple going strong and you still are here Dipped in Ubuntu aren’t you.
    Mostly certainly am here but only for these reasons:

1) Ubuntu desktop blows away Windows XP
    2) Ubuntu desktop is better than Windows 7 in some important ways
    3) OSX is just plain irritating
    4) Ubuntu server is pure awesome in a can
    5) I have/had/have/had hope that the Ubuntu desktop & server will evolve to the point where it will be totally ubiquitous in corporate America...

It is my waning hope for the future that caused me to start this thread. Although the sentiments expressed by whatthefunk are exactly what I've been thinking, I've seen enough here to make me wait a while longer. I think we are less than a year away from have the mobile platform paying big dividends on the desktop, I really didn't get that before.
    Last edited by HDave; June 14th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    Mostly certainly am here but only for these reasons:

1) Ubuntu desktop blows away Windows XP
    2) Ubuntu desktop is better than Windows 7 in some important ways
    3) OSX is just plain irritating
    4) Ubuntu server is pure awesome in a can
    5) I have/had/have/had hope that the Ubuntu desktop & server will evolve to the point where it will be totally ubiquitous in corporate America...

It is my waning hope for the future that caused me to start this thread. Although the sentiments expressed by whatthefunk are exactly what I've been thinking, I've seen enough here to make me wait a while longer. I think we are less than a year away from have the mobile platform paying big dividends on the desktop, I really didn't get that before.
    Yes the server and desktop are awesome and that is why i think mobile has a shot too. As Jorge pointed out if it all/most of it turns out OK it might just happen desktop will get a boost too. I am quite sure Wayland/Mir efforts will make Linux desktop more attractive and awesome and convergence will bring needed polish and strong position toward OEMs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There is a lot of other Linux distros... try another one if you dont like where Ubuntu is going.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

No i think we should stay and make Ubuntu better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    There is a lot of other Linux distros... try another one if you dont like where Ubuntu is going.
    I value Linux a lot, and will stick with Ubuntu Server for many years to come. But in my case, I don't want a "Linux" desktop....I want a "Great" desktop and IMO Canonical/Ubuntu is the only way that is going to happen if it is ever going to happen. I don't mean I want/hope it to be the best Linux desktop, but that is the best Desktop.

So for me, I'll either tough it out with Ubuntu (and keep working to make it better), or if Canonical's direction looks problematic, I'll punt and (sadly) take my users back to Windows 7. This thread has convinced me to hang in there for another 12 months at least. A lot depends on the stability, certified hardware support, and bug fixes that make it into 14.04 LTS, the dividends that I see the convergence project giving the desktop, and the state of critical enterprise apps like OpenOffice.
    Last edited by HDave; June 16th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    So for me, I'll either tough it out with Ubuntu (and keep working to make it better), or if Canonical's direction looks problematic, I'll punt and (sadly) take my users back to Windows 7. .
    Sorry, it is quite nonsensical to get back to Windows just basically because you don't like Unity, there are many Ubuntu respins including Mint which have a more "traditional" focus and there are othergreat desktop distros such as Debian and Fedora. I never understand where this comes from: I love Linux but because I don't like Unity so I am going to infest my machines with Windows aka the MicroSoft virus again. And what happens when Win7 reaches eol? WIn8 and up are going to be mobile focused as well (now it would be hard to find a retail laptop with Win7 on it)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 16th, 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast