Thread: Don't waste your time with UNetbootin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Don't waste your time with UNetbootin.

Been trying to get a bootable USB to test out Linux distros most of the day using UNetbootin but wasn't have much success. Well, the "Answer" was right in front of me all along. Just use Startup Disk Creator in Ubuntu 12.04 to make your "live" USB bootable disk and it'll set persistence and an ext2 partition and everything so that it works like a champ. I'm running with the 8GB SanDisk with Peppermint One on it right now and I could even update everything without running out of room like I was with the USB disks I'd made with UNetbootin. Looks like Ubuntu had the solution all along.LOL.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Don't waste your time with UNetbootin.

I've never been able to get Startup Disk Creator to work, the USB drives I make with it never boot. I had about a 90% success rate with UNetBootin when I still used it but nowadays I just use the dd command and I've never once had it fail.

At the end of the day it's just like your OS choice, you should use what works for you.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No issues so far with UNetbootin.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Unetbootin has worked for me every time. You just need to empty the USB stick first, use Shift+Delete to avoid putting the files into the Trashcan in which case the stick is still not empty.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Unetbootin has worked for me every time. You just need to empty the USB stick first, use Shift+Delete to avoid putting the files into the Trashcan in which case the stick is still not empty.
    +1
    Basically I do the same, and up 'til now never had any problems with it.

Beans
    Distro

I totally emptied the USB and did a total FAT format but UNetbootin just wasn't working very well for me at all. Startup Disk Creator works like a charm, makes a persistence file and ext2 file, all those little "bells and whistles" that need to be done in order to get things working. I DID use UNetbootin to install DSL(Damnsmall Linux) on a 256MB USB that I had because SDC wouldn't reconize the small volume and it actually worked but for the majority of my "Live" USB disk needs I'll stick with SDC.
    Just thought I'd bring this up incase someone wasn't having any luck with UNetbootin and wanted to still try to create a Live USB drive to boot to so they can test out some other Op Systems.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, maybe I was a little hard on UNetbootin. It seems like it's sometimes the only program that'll work with some iso files to set up a bootable USB so I'd now say it's a worthy addition to have in case Startup Disk Creator won't work.
    I do have one question, it says it can only set up a persistent file for Ubuntu but will that also with with Ubuntu based programs like Linux Mint, ect. I just put Absolute 14.04 on my 32GB USB and put 4GB for persistent and it actually set up a file system for that so is Absolute an Ubuntu based Op Sys then?

Beans
    Hidden!

There are several alternatives to make USB boot devices. Most of them work most of the time, but some of them work better with certain distros and each of them might not work with a brand new version of some distro for a shorter or longer period (until it is adjusted for that new version).

So it is a good idea to know about several of these alternatives.

See these links

Ubuntu Wiki - FromUSBStick
    Howto make USB boot drives
    Last edited by sudodus; June 14th, 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: improved syntax

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

The inverse happens to me; Startup Disk Creator would never work, but UNetbootin works like a charm. Each to his/her own.

Beans

IIRC, I couldn't use Unetbootin for the 13.04 distros. I had to use Startup Disk Creator and it did well most of the time.