Thread: I am racking my brains out trying to solve this.

Beans

I am racking my brains out trying to solve this.

i've got an i7950/nvidiagtx 460se. i tried installing ubuntu 12.04. everything went fine up untill install was over. When i opened firefox i could not click any links or buttons in firefox. i could click file edit view ect and the side bar with other icons. somehow i don't remeber how pure luck mostly i finally would get to be able to click inside fire fox but then i couldn't click on anything outside. if i saved a file the dialog box would pop up and if i tried to click it it just din't work. instead the click went straigth through to firefox. this happened with EVERY app. if i opened anything i couldn't click on anything in it i had to tab over to that and hit enter or space. i did this with default non proprietary nvidia driver. i did it with all 3 bundled nvidia drivers. i even downloaded the nvidia drivers from it's website and i think i installed it right (long ass methods that varied from one to another.) after about 5 hrs i gave up and tried mint. same problems. i tried the irc chat but seems slammed and i was just told that proprietary drivers just don't work most of the time. so basically no help there.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I am racking my brains out trying to solve this.

Which driver are you using now (from Additional Drivers or nVidia website and what version), and what is the state of the machine?
    Can you post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?
    Last edited by searchfgold6789; June 13th, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    Which driver are you using now (from Additional Drivers or nVidia website and what version), and what is the state of the machine?
    Can you post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?
    can't post the /var/log/Xorg.0.log as i removed .. i'll try resintalling today again and since i know it will happen i'll post it afterwards.

After fresh install it uses nouveau and it does it.
    i did the recommended driver (duno what number but ti's the first one in the list when i clicked the driver icon. Still did it
    i tried the 2nd driver (post update) and it still did it.
    i tried the latest driver on the list .. still did it

i tried downloading the latest .run file from nvidia (319 i belive) and it gave me an error about install script and after the install almost semed to work but no it still messed up.

i followed multiple guides (including blacklisting the nouveau driver. still did it.)

i even followed one guide that had me ctrl-f1 to exit to terminal and do it all from command prompt. still din't work.

this help narrow it down? I really don't think it's the video drivers. it has to do with mouse focus locking into inside firefox.

example: if i was in the install right now i could type all this but i could not click on file edit view ect.. if i right clicked an image and save image. the popup with save options would be unclickable. if i clicked on anything on that it the mouse would actually ignore it and still be clicking on firefox (if there is a link or something to click that would get clicked instead of the new pop up. also can't click on icons on the right side bar.

i have to close firefox .. and sometimes i can click it. most of the time i still can't click any icons unless i restart the machine.

i tried using special key to open the ubuntu icon (top icon) and i could type xterm to get the shell. from there i could type but not paste into it. if i tried to type in a dialog box in firefox any typing went to the terminal instead. i could not click on firefox to get it to shift focus back untill i closed xterm.

Could mouse drivers be causing this? i'm using a rat 7 but i din't load any special settings for it i just went with whatever ubuntu defaulted to (all the buttons worked fine).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Good call on the mouse! I found a guide here: http://fcns.eu/2011/04/01/cyborg-rat...e-under-linux/
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    Good call on the mouse! I found a guide here: http://fcns.eu/2011/04/01/cyborg-rat...e-under-linux/
    brb pounding my head against a brick wall for all the time i've spent messing with video drivers. lol thanks. i'm writing the info down so when i re-install i'll be doing this. it looks like the exact problem i am having. i'll reply here later on tonight with if it fixes it up.

Update:

i followed the instructions you linked but it seemed to mess up a little.

when i first did the edit i realized there was no xorg.conf file. so i decided to run the nvidia install from the default 3 options in base install. that generated an almost empty xorg.conf file. i then edited it in pico instead and added what it stated.

seems to be working now. thanks!
    Last edited by Maelstorm; June 14th, 2013 at 05:41 AM.