Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: startup issues on XUBUNTU

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: startup issues on XUBUNTU

jfbooth;

It is most wise to be cautious.
    I do not anticipate that anything we do at this point can affect anything else than the WM and the settings for the xfce desktop.
    And yes, doing that "rm -rf" command and logging back in, you will loose any and all alterations you have made to the xfce desktop.
    In the event you have made extensive alterations from default that you desire to resort back to... what can be done is save all the files residing in /.cache/sessions ...upon re-activating xfce one can - one at a time - copy a saved file back and log-out and in to see the effects. A very long and tiresome process to be sure. That method will isolate the file that is producing the errors.
    Backups: backing up ones "/home" directory should be a standard policy if one does not regularly make backups of important files via other means. I know of no reason in a standard install to back up any other files. In the event of catastrophic system corruption, (re-)installation is the cleanest solution to restore.

As you use a windows manager to log into the xfce desk top... I would expect when one logs out from xfce that one would return to the login gui screen. If you do indeed -when logging out of xfce - you get a text login terminal... that will work just as well for the purpose of removing "$home/.cache/sessions.

It is of no shame to have ignorance .. none of us were born knowing what we know, you are but lacking and that given time is amendable !

There is no hurry on my part to resolve the error in xfce... nor do I mind taking things in small steps - sometime I prefer to.
    Can you now login to your xfce desktop ? When booting are you booting to the GUI login or are you getting a text login ?
    We need to know where you are to give the requested guidance.

Now here is what is: I am tired now and preparing to retire for the night, I have to be away from the keyboard most of tomorrow but I will return in my eve (GMT-6). In the meantime I want you comfortable with executing this minor procedure, Rest assured we are not messing about with any system files. Just config files that are replaceable (that is what we are doing). Take your time and be aware of exactly what we are doing to your computer. I want you knowledgeable. aware, and comfortable.

Be advised there are hundreds of people to "take up the slack" if there is a problem following the guidance given and I am not available to take care of that situation.

From the GUI login screen, by all means play around with the console (terminal), ctl+alt+f1 -> CLI, then look at your computer from a files perspective:
    terminal command:
    Code:
    ls -la $HOME/.cache/sessions
    ls -~/.cache/sessions
    Ask yourself why the output is the same...look at the lines in the output, a lot of information is there. A line starting with a "d" is a directory (ok ya may call it a folder ), a line starting with a "-" is a file ...Files may be accessed by many means and one can see what is in a file:
    Code:
     cat ~/.cache/sessions/<file_name>
    Never any harm in just "reading" a file.

'till tomorrow eve
    cheers

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

jfbooth;; Hey,

Just checking on your status... I will be away for a few hours... I check back in then.

later

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs up Re: startup issues on XUBUNTU

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Yes, backup the /home directory, but not hidden files or Desktop or Lost&Found. Hit ctl+h to see hidden files if you want to have a look, and again to hide them.
    The result of what I did was a bunch of empty directories .. so I did not bother to back up $HOME at all.

Back to the current situation. Once you're at the terminal, then input the command, but you may need a 'sudo' if you are not already root:

Code:
    sudo rm -rf $HOME/.cache/sessions
    Did entire list of instructions. NO startup errors .. all original problems appear fixed. Everything appears normal except those 4 'dead' icons on the lower panel. Must not be too tragic ... at the moment, I don't even remember what they were linked to..

Just a heads up; please use default text rather than bold. I realis this may not have been intentional but just letting you know. Thanks.

From the forum Code of Conduct:
    My apologies. My intent was to make the post EASIER to discern. I will not do that again. Thank you for the advice. I am thinking this thread is resolved .... and I want to thank you immensely ... for your technical help and your patience with me. Thank you again.

EDIT: Isn't there some way to compliment you on/to the forum for your assistance? Some forums offer that, but I don't see it here.
    Last edited by jfbooth; June 13th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

We don't have that here. Marking the thread solved by following the link in my signature will suffice. Cheers.

PS: Good news it appears to be running ok.

Beans
    Distro

jfbooth; Pleased ya got it resolved... up and running.

That lower panel is "panel 2" and from the settings menu you may add whatever you like to it ...I found that second panel of no value to me and from the setting menu i removed it.

And as far as an expression of gratitude... you have... as our moderator advises - it is not done here ! - We are all of a friendly group, our purpose is to assist and promote ubuntu... The greatest thanks is to pass this along to someone else in need and your having attained the ability to help.

Remember, we are here ... and there is no such thing as a stupid question.

enjoy

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Never use that bottom panel myself and always remove first thing post-install, but then I like things clean and few bells and whistles. Auto-hiding top task bar so when I boot my computer I end up looking at just the wallpaper, no icons, taskbars or anything else. Just the way I like it ... boring!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Never use that bottom panel myself and always remove first thing post-install, but then I like things clean and few bells and whistles. Auto-hiding top task bar so when I boot my computer I end up looking at just the wallpaper, no icons, taskbars or anything else. Just the way I like it ... boring!
    Panel 1 seems ample enough. First time I saw an UBUNTU desktop .. first thing I noticed was Panel 2. I am more amused with it than need it. I keep it around and put first this and then that on it. Teaches me a little bit about the GUI. Thank you all again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I use the bottom panel as a popup launcher. It stays out of the way unless I need it.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Hate to say this, but .....

I thought my problem was fixed. Sadly, I just discovered:

On 'restart', I get the XFCE login screen. I provide p/w, ... then get the same screen again. Log in again and am at desktop where everything works OK.

During that restart, I notice that all those messages that scroll along as you restart ... before the log in screen, are severely scrunched vertically. Before, they scrolled up in normal size 'terminal' text.

I THINK I must be running two XFCE 'sessions' ... or sumptin(?).

EDIT: Also .. system overall seems noticeably sluggish.
    Last edited by jfbooth; June 15th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Hate to say this, but .....

I advise you post another thread with a descriptive title about this new issue to improve your chances of help. Whatever info you can think of and in the appropriate sub-forum.

You'll have more luck rather than buried 20 posts deep on a thread with an unrelated title. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12