Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop is nothing like the one shown in original description

Beans

Desktop is nothing like the one shown in original description

I am booting from the disk I downloaded yesterday from Ubantu. The system loads fine, but the desktop that I get is dull, the icons are unreadable, and the desktop is a variety of colored strips. There is a selection of 4 styles, but they're all multi color strips. I have it as bright as possible, but I couldn't even find the shut down button so I pulled the plug. The second time, I got the same style of desktop, but it was daytime and I was able to find the shut down icon at the top of the desktop. The desktop itself, though, is still virtually illegible. It just doesn't look anything like the display I keep seeing with the nice dark read desktop and very modern icons down the side. It's obviously a video problem, but I can't figure out why the desktop and icons are so different from what they are supposed to look like. I'm so new at this that I have a difficult time explaining what I see.
    Last edited by wc711; July 2nd, 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Desktop is nothing like the one shown in original description

I'm so new at this that I have a difficult time explaining what I see.
    Then show us with picture!? As they say 1 picture is worth 1000 words.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can you please post a screenshot?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please attach it by clicking 'Go Advanced' and using the paperclip icon. Thanks and welcome to the forums.

PS: Boot from the disk. When you get to the options screen, Try Ubuntu, etc., press F6 and some options should pop up. Choose 'nomodset' and then 'Try Ubuntu' to get to a desktop. How's it look? If it is different in any way from what was happening previously, any error messages, anything.

Just out of curiousity, what happens if you either close the laptop lid or hit ctl+alt+del to put the machine into suspend, then log back in again? Same?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 11th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And it's always helpful to describe your computer: brand and model, and what video adapter.

Beans

Long day yesterday! I had trouble booting from the DVD and as I was about to go into the BIOS, I decided to just go ahead and load the software onto my hard drive to see if that would help; it didn't, but with more light I was able to read the icons a little better and came across the icon for "additional drivers". I immediately saw that my NVIDIA drivers hadn't been activated so I took care of the issue. Upon rebooting, I got the image I was supposed to have; it was the same as the one in the description, after a few adjustments, of course. I really like what I see, and hope to end up with Ubuntu being my OS. After suffering through Vista and Windows 8 I became thoroughly disgusted. I have more questions, but now that I have it "up and running", I will use the tools available to learn as much as I can on my own before bothering anyone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ah yes. the desktop originally loads using nvidia opensource drivers. it seems they were the issue. it might be good to report this in launchpad so they fix it and os someone else with same mashcine doens't get into smae troubles.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Excellent news. Please follow the link in my thread an mark the thread as solved to help others.

Enjoy the forums, the learning curve and the OS and post a new thread with a descriptive title and plenty of info in the appropriate category for any further issues/probs. Good luck.

Beans

I will report the Nvidia issue as advised. In the mean time i'm slowly installing neccessary software. At the moment it's Wine and Wine Tricks so I can install Itunes. Transfered Foxfire bookmarks with memeory stick and activated my Thunderbird mail account so I'm operable. The only problem I'm having that mistifys me at the moment is the tendency for the system to freeze or stall. My pointer becomes a cursor and the screens darkens somewhat. It only last for a short time, but I know it shouldn't be happening. It's possible that downloading software and trying to do other tasks is the problem, but I can't figure it out. It was profuse while trying to type this while Wine was downloading and installling, but now that it's done I'm moving right along without incident.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

wc711; Hi !

I extend my welcome to you. Your participation is encouraged on this forum. But there are procedures to follow; Please observe our moderator Bucky Ball's directive to start a new thread when a new situation occurs.

To that end, please mark this thread as solved, helps keep the forum tidy, and start that new thread with the appropriate title. In that thread demonstrate that you have the "high end" hardware to run the "high end" edition of ubuntu.

Interim method:
    Go to the first post in your thread. Click on "Edit Post". Now click on the orange "Go Advanced" button. In the advanced editor change the prefix to "SOLVED". Now click on the orange "Save Changes" button.

You have come some ways on the learning curve and the process continues !

it is all a learning experience

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast