Thread: Wireless and wired both

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wireless and wired both

When I have my ethernet conneted and also my wireless at home does one over ride the other or take precedence or is my speed incresed by having both? Or is it faster to disable the wireless while I am wire connected?
    Last edited by cmcanulty; June 11th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wireless and wired both

Neither of them is noticeably faster, because it all depends on your computer and router's speeds. But, I would go with turning off wireless when wire connected, to lessen what the computer has to process. Hope this helped.

Beans

As long as both are connected to the same router/gateway, they will work in parallel.
    However, wired ethernet tends to have much greater capacity, so any performance improvement by adding WiFi may be marginal.
    For example, copying a one-hour HD video within my LAN takes 50 minutes by WiFi, and 4 minutes by ethernet. And still 4 minutes using both together.

If wired and wireless networks seek a different router/gateway, then the system will choose only one route to the internet. You can define a second route to internet addresses in your routing table (using the 'route' command), and any IP address can have only one route. For example, either gateway can to programmed for YouTube, but not both. I generally find it to be much more work than the improvement is worth.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks I have wondered about that for a while, very helpful