Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenSUSE 12.3 mount point?

Beans

Re: OpenSUSE 12.3 mount point?

Quote Originally Posted by 3mutts View Post
    Alright, posting from the LiveCD. Anyways does this look ok to you guys?...Also, after install, can I get rid of the two Dell partitions (I assume they are recovery partitions for Windows XP) and combine them with the new install?
    Yes, it looks fine. Although it's possible to merge sda1 and sda3 with sda3 (root) after the install -- it's much easier to delete all three and create a single new partition in the empty space as part of the install process. It's probably done by either 'right clicking' on the drives on that screen you posted, or via the 'Configure...' button in the bottom right.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Also, if you're looking for an RPM-based distro you might turn to Fedora. Suse arrangements with MS have not been the wisest. Nothing has changed for the better since the big exodus back in 2006. Even Jeremy Allison wrote his own piece, too. CentOS is also quite popular as an alternative. Mageia might be an even better choice, since is it a good community distro. Myself, I prefer the APT-based distros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Again, if Fedora is too experimental, you might look at Mageia. By the way, Groklaw has dozens of articles on the Suse problem, like this one: http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...40&mode=nested
    And it's been covered elsewhere like in Techrights.

What about Kubuntu or Lubuntu instead of an RPM-based distro?
    OP, I wouldn't let any of this silliness put you off using openSUSE. It's a fine distro with a terrific pedigree.

If there's mudslinging to be done, I don't think it's fair to do it here and attempt to colour people's own judgement. And it's not like Canonical is exactly the saint, is it?
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

^ Yeah I really don't care about that, very similar things can be said about Canonical as well (the whole MIR argument). The point is that both are companies trying to make a profit off opensource systems and if that involves working with companies we don't like than so be it.

Anyways, the installation went great but now I'm having issues with my Atheros AR5416 WIFI card, it was working on the live CD but it isn't working in the install, I assume this is a driver issue and that I need to find the Linux driver however with all the googling I did I can't seem to find it. If anyone can link me to the driver then that would be great.

Beans

If you have it installed then just do a reboot and the network should just work. It's a known bug with this release. Your Atheros should work fine.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

^ Yes it is showing up it Yast IDK if its installed or not.

Edit: Got it working alright, now I'm installing updates (100 of them).
    Last edited by 3mutts; June 11th, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12