Thread: Looking for a simple project management and tracking tool

Beans

Looking for a simple project management and tracking tool

Hey, I'm running a small NGO and it has expanded to the point that I need a proper tool to manage all our projects instead of excel sheets now.

My basic requirements are just for an admin to create a new project, mention it's various parts or phases and deadlines of each phases.
    Then the user heading each project can login separately into his project and mark each phase as finished whenever they're finished. And if they're not finished by the ending time assigned by the admin then the admin gets a notification and can issue an extension.

I've a good background in creating web apps in python/PHP, but before I dive into it I wanted to know if some simple open source tools exist which will be able to remove a bulk of my work.

I did take a look at a some open source project management tools online but they're incredibly complex with so many frills I don't need.

I'd appreciate some recommendations...thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Looking for a simple project management and tracking tool

I think Zoho Projects may cost a bit, but being a cloud-centric (similar to Google Docs and such) may be a benefit.

There is also ProjectLibre which is trying to take on MS Projects directly but with a taste like LibreOffice.

I don't know if these are too heavy/complicated for what you are looking for, though.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Open up Ubuntu Software Center and type in Project.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

-------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

You can use proofhub (www.proofhub.com) a web based project management software. It has got some amazing feature like proofing tool, casper mode, to-do list, milestone, timesheet, uploaidng files from dropbox and google drive, and in built chat. In this you can collaborate and communicate with all people involved in a project. It will relieve you from keeping track of long thread of email, managing large number of files and chat. Besides, it being a web based software so you wont have to buy the software, thus eliminating the cost of ownership.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I recommend Project Libre as it is quite similar to Microsoft Project Professional 2010 Service Pack 1. I have both installed and they're compatible with each other.

Beans

Hi,

I am a freelancer and I do web development projects. To manage multiple projects I have tried many web based project management softwares like basecamp, podio, zoho, proofhub. I find proofhub as very user friendly and affordable. I suggest you browse the net and try some other alternatives to get the best fit for yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use projectlibre at work and does the job pretty well with gantt charts
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans

Have you tried using Time Doctor? It is a project management software we used in our company.