Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot run Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Live USB

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Cannot run Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Live USB

Yesterday I downloaded the official Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS Version because i wanted to reinstall Ubuntu because of some new partitions and i made a bootable USB using "Unetbootin" "Startup Disc Creator" and from many other bootable USB creator softwares and none off them worked and some of them showed this error http://paste.ubuntu.com/5749088/

Then i thought that there must be some problem in my iso so i redownloaded it and still it is giving me the same error.

When i start the USB it asks for options like "Run Ubuntu without Installation" "Install Ubuntu" and some more options. But none of them can let me boot the USB.

And when i use the Live USB made by Unetbootin then the error shows something like "Corrupt or Invalid Kernel Image".

How is all that possible. I downladed both times from the official site and i used torrent which is very less likely to change the file and also i checked the MDA5 sum and it is exactly the same. Then what is the problem?

Please guys help me i cannnot reinstall Ubuntu and i have to do some homework on "Javascript" . Please guys help me.

Any help is highly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by SangeetKhatri; June 13th, 2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: To mark the thread as [SOLVED] .

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cannot run Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Live USB

i recently installed three ubuntu flavors.
    i had problems with unetbootin; i solved it by making the usb's thus: stick the usb in. does it show up in your file manager? then open a terminal and type 'mount' without any arguments. here, it says:
    /dev/sdc1 on /media/me/12fe51dd-0a7b-43f4-878d-35241aff5db6 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
    so /dev/sdc1 is my usb stick. make 100% sure! then type:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/path/to/your/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdX
    where sdX is your usb. 'of=/dev/sdc' would be the right value, not sdc1.

big fat warning:
    dd (nickname disk destroyer) is a very powerful and potentially dangerous tool! if of= (output file) is set to a wrong value, data loss may occur!
    maybe the sudo is not needed when copying to usb-stick.
    also you may need to unmount the stick before executing dd (umount /dev/sdc1).
    Last edited by ohnonot; June 10th, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Hidden!

Did everything you said and the Live USB was made in about 5 minutes but still it is not working and showing the same error:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5749088/

It shows the Ubuntu Boot Screen for about half an hour and then gives this Error Message. I am pissed off as i cannot install Ubuntu.

Is the fact that i am running the same version of Ubuntu which i am trying to reinstall making the USB not boot properly?

Please help me
    Thanks
    Last edited by SangeetKhatri; June 10th, 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

right. you could of course try to format the usb stick first and then try the dd thing again, but i'm 90% sure that you're problem is a different one.
    it shouldn't have anything to do with the installed version, but what exactly is this boot screen that you see? could you take a pic of it?

also, the code you pastebinned, i can't interpret that so i humbly call this to the attention of someone more knowledgable.
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Hidden!

The installation screen is the default Ubuntu one with pinkish background and white Ubuntu logo with 4 dots below the logo. Exactly like the one in the pic at http://www.thefanclub.co.za/sites/de...?itok=9AT2L2e9

Another thing is that when i press any button from "F1" to F12" I get an error message which says every 2-3 seconds the below lines

Code:
    stdin:/ I/O Error

/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found

/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found

stdin:/ I/O Error

And the same message goes on to be displayed every time i press any button from "F1" to "F12"

I am trying to run the "64 bit" Ubuntu on a laptop with 4GB Ram. I think it has nothing to do with RAM or is it?

Anyways thanks for replying.

Beans
    Hidden!

I could not get much from the pastebin either, except that it cannot run blkid (that should list block ID of the partitions). So there is something very wrong.

In order to give advice, we need to know more.

- Is any installed system running (well, badly or not at all)? Ubuntu, some other system?

- Can you boot another computer with the live USB drive?

- Please specify your computer, at least cpu, ram and graphics chip/card, wifi chip/card

- Have you checked the RAM with memtest from the second menu when you boot from from the USB drive (after the language selection)?

My only guess right now is bad RAM.

Beans
    Hidden!

- Ubuntu 12.04 was installed but i just removed it and installed Lubuntu 13.04 because it got corrupted because of my some mistrake. So now i have Lubuntu 13.04 installed temporarily for the time i cannot install Ubuntu 12.04

- Nope, i cannot run Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit from my father's netbook too. It gives the same error and stuff (The netbook has 2GB ram which is not suitable for 64 bit though)

- My laptop is Acer Aspire 5738, core2duo , 4GB DDR2 RAM, No Graphics Card, No idea about wifi chip, but searching the laptop specs would get you more specs.

- I checked my RAM with memtest and it passed the test and it was said to be 100% fine by the memtest tool.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks

If you want to have more information, feel free to ask me. Currently i am running Lubuntu 13.04 just temporarily.
    Last edited by SangeetKhatri; June 10th, 2013 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you can run Lubuntu (from CD/USB/HDD, whatever works, please use the following commands to try to find out about the graphics chip

Code:
     sudo lshw>lshw.txt
    and look at the file with a file editing

Code:
     leafpad lshw.txt
    and

Code:
     hardinfo

Beans
    Hidden!

Here is the output of lshw at http://paste.ubuntu.com/5752883/

Beans
    Hidden!

And i have natively installed Lubuntu and am not running it from live CD or Live USB. Though i installed it using Live USB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast