Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot run Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Live USB

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cannot run Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Live USB

The output of lshw looks good to me. There is intel graphics, which should work with Ubuntu. There is one questionmark for the wifi chip, but usually Intel wifi works with Ubuntu.

You wrote that you have tried to boot from Unetbootin and Startup Disc Creator.

1. Did you try the dd method described by ohnonot? And you are sure that the image was written to the USB drive?

Code:
     sudo dd if=/path/to/your/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdX
    In that case, did you really get the same result as with Unetbootin?

2. Then I suspect that the downloaded image is bad. Please check again the whole iso file with md5sum, that it matches what is posted in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

3. If the md5sum matches, I suggest that you try another sub-version alias point-release of Ubuntu 12.04. You tried the newest one 12.04.2, so try either of 12.04, 12.04.1, I would suggest 12.04.1, which is more debugged and polished than the original one.

4. I suggest that you download and use my script to make imaging with dd safer. See Howto make USB boot drives. This method has a high success rate, partly because it does not depend on previous formatting of the USB drive.

Beans
    Hidden!

There is nothing wrong with md5 sum. The MD5 sum of the file is exactly same as the MD5 given in the site.
    Well.. let me just try 12.04.1 It would take about 4 hours download then i will tell you.

If there is any further problem after than then i would post it here, otherwise would mark this thread as [SOLVED]

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Have you tried to get it via torrent? It is usually faster.

Beans
    Hidden!

I downloaded two more Ubuntu 12.04 iso's first one was the 32 bit 12.04.2 and the second one was 64 bit 12.04.1 and both of them gave the same error. Why the hell can't i run it. Do you know anyone who knows what those error messages mean? Because i am sure something must be there in those error messages.

And i always use torrents.

The difference this time was that Live USB made by Unetbootin did not showed any error which it showed with 64 bit 12.04.2 which was "corrupt or invalid kernel" But still it is not loading. Can you please help me? Or pass this to someone who actually knows what those error messages mean because i am really pissed off.

I have downloaded the Ubuntu 12.04 iso four times and none of them is working. While at the same time Lubuntu 13.04 Live CD is easily working.

I remember that when i first tried Ubuntu 12.04 around 4-5 months ago then it worked fine from Live USB on the same laptop, then what must be the thing that is causing problems??

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SangeetKhatri View Post
    Another thing is that when i press any button from "F1" to F12" I get an error message which says every 2-3 seconds the below lines
    Code:
    stdin:/ I/O Error

/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found

/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found

stdin:/ I/O Error

And the same message goes on to be displayed every time i press any button from "F1" to "F12"

sudodus certainly has good advice on this, but this error message brings 2 things to mind:

- iirc, /dev/srX is used for cd drives, not usb?
    so the question would be, did you install Lubuntu from the exact same media? the same usb stick? or from a cd?
    (afaiu you managed to install Lubuntu on the same machine?)
    - what does line 7 of /init read? (you might have to search for the init script on your installation medium, it's not necessarily in the root dir)

...could the usb stick itself be corrupt? or badly formatted, as both sudodus and me touched already earlier.
    that would mean, create a new partition table, then format it to fat32 (sometimes also called FAT win95 or some such nonsense) you can do it conveniently with gparted, but there's other tools.

i don't feel too confident with driver related stuff - but i would like to add to my first post (post #2 of this thread):
    finding out which device name is your actual usb stick is very important.
    i usually go this way before putting an .iso on a usb stick with dd:
    fire up gparted, change the display to the usb stick (right-click the drop-down in the top right).
    that gives me the name of the device. at the same time i wipe it really clean with creating a partition table and formatting to fat32.
    then i close gparted and do the dd thing.
    so, if you want to make 100% sure, try this again.
    Last edited by ohnonot; June 12th, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 to ohnonot's advice

and I suggest that you try the dd method (which is made safe with the following method: cut and paste to get the script, and use it to guide the choice of USB device; it helps you replace X with the correct drive letter)

Howto make USB boot drives

Recently some people have had problems with Unetbootin. Normally it is a very reliable tool, but maybe there is a temporary problem, and you should try another method. And the dd method has a high success rate.

If still no go, we should look for the error somewhere else, for example some of the hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!

@ohnonot

I booted and installed Lubuntu from the same USB using unetbootin only and it worked flawlessly.
    And i am sorry i could not find any /init file in my USB drive. Why so? Anyways here is the screenshot http://i.imgur.com/J7FoI8b.png

And i correctly formatted the USB to fat32 using a Windows 7 netbook. And in gparted too it says the same. and since i was able to boot off Lubuntu and even install it, hence i think the USB is just fine.

OK, anyways i will try what you suggested and would report if i get any further problems. As for now stuck with Lubuntu though.

Beans
    Hidden!

@sudodus Man.. that page is confusing me a lot. I am not that much aware with those scripts and other stuff. Can you please simplify it for me to understand. Please..

Beans
    Hidden!

The simpest thing is to use ohnonot's method described in post #2,

Code:
     sudo dd if=/path/to/your/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdX
    but double-check that you will be writing to the correct drive. If the internal drive is /dev/sda, and there is no other drive except the USB drive, that drive is /dev/sdb. If you have also other drives connected, it might be /dev/sdc, dev/sdd etc. So it is important that you identify the drive you want to use. If you write to another drive, that drive will be overwritten and its content will be lost.

Still, that single line suggested by ohnonot is the simplest method available. One single command. It cannot be simpler. You need no pre-formatting. The only thing is that you have to write to the correct drive. If you are confused by my script, that is intended to help you avoid writing to the wrong drive, don't use it. Check manually, make sure there is no typing error and run that dd command line.

Ask and ask again, until you are confident that you know which device letter is used for the USB drive, that you want to make into a live USB drive. For example, do you know which commands that will help you identify it?

Good luck

Beans
    Hidden!

I am finally happy to announce that.... that....that.........................!!!

Yes, guys you guessed it right. The problem has been solved and i have now installed the beautifull Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity which is so awesome. Thank You guys a lot.

The actual problem was that the pen drive which i used earlier had some problem with Ubuntu 12.04, i do not know why. I just got a pen drive of a friend and made the Live USB to his USB using the DD method. And it worked flawlessly like it used to work before.

So, sorry for all the inconvenience it was the Pen Drive that was causing problems.

So my advice for anyone who get's caught in problem like this would be to just get a spare Pen Drive from a friend and just try to boot it off from that USB and as in my case chances are that it would work just fine..!!

Anyways guys thankyou, you showed a lot of patience in dealing with somewhat impatient guy like me. And i am finally so happy that i have finally got a real OS installed in my laptop. LXDE, XFCE, Cinnamon they all are not even close to Ubuntu's Unity. And i am just loving the Unity Experience so far. Nothing to set up that much and changing settings very easy. Easiest i found on Linux so far and i have also used Linux Mint 14 by the way,

Anyways guys again a big thanks and sorry for the fact that the problem was in the USB.

Bye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast