Thread: How does Ubuntu-Touch silence ringer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How does Ubuntu-Touch silence ringer?

One of the things I love about iPhone is that switch on the side of the phone that instantly silences the phone. Androids tend to require using the volume rocker--so I'm constantly rocking volume down to silence the ringer and then rocking volume up again to get back to a loud enough volume (which I find inefficient).

Anybody know how Ubuntu Touch will silence the phone? Does it have a quick one-step procedure like iPhone, or does it use rocker or some new way? will Touch have volume buttons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How does Ubuntu-Touch silence ringer?

Well so far the aim seems to be to use as little hardware buttons as possible.
    So I think you'll have to go through software at first (swipe down the volume icon and you get a mute button).

However, others have asked if there will be a possibility to use hardware buttons.
    This seems likely to me, as implementation cannot be too difficult and provide more options to manufacturers.

One such buttons could be a switch like on the iPhone.
    This would be down to the manufacturer I assume.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This would be down to the manufacturer I assume.
    How true. We cannot use a physical button if a physical button is not there. Ubuntu is software. If the manufacturer decides to include stuff as part of the hardware design then Ubuntu would have to make use of it. But if the manufacturer decides not to include stuff in the hardware design then there would be little Canonical could do about it.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    How true. We cannot use a physical button if a physical button is not there. Ubuntu is software. If the manufacturer decides to include stuff as part of the hardware design then Ubuntu would have to make use of it. But if the manufacturer decides not to include stuff in the hardware design then there would be little Canonical could do about it.
    companies that work with Canonical and release Ubuntu phones may be open to Canonical input. If Canonical states they would appreciate a hardware slide button that can instantly silence the phone, I see no reason why the phone model could not be designed with it. It's simply a matter of the idea being brought forth when things are being discussed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

watching a bunch of youtube videos of Ubuntu Touch (and working the pause button), It appears that if users swipes down over the Sound-Indicator, the shade that appears has a Mute setting-button. This looks promising. User heading into movie, swipes down over Sound-Indicator and taps Mute. Should be quick and easy (definitely preferable to having to use a volume-rocker).