Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "After Earth" - what would the world look like?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"After Earth" - what would the world look like?

I haven't seen the movie "After Earth" yet. But I was watching an advertisment for it on TV last night and it got me thinking: if the entire human race left earth right now (to live on another planet or whatever), what would the earth look like to our descendants if they decided to come have a look around in a thousand years time? What mark have we made that would still be distinguishable? And a back-up question: how long would it take for all marks of our civilisation(s) to be erased?
    Last edited by t0p; June 9th, 2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: correcting typos
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "After Earth" - what would the world look like?

If we wait until the Long Now Foundation finish their clock before we leave then that will still be around in 10,000 years

http://longnow.org/clock/
    Last edited by Cheesemill; June 9th, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

History Channel had a TV show based on that: http://www.history.com/shows/life-after-people

Was pretty good.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I too have only seen the ads, but I wonder if sabertooth tigers will really make a comeback.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My (and your) Friend Google showed me this.

Poor doggies.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

We saw the movie last weekend, pretty decent I though. I really don't think animals would change much in 1K years, there may be more of them or many less of them(man has done alot to bring the Whitetail Deer population back to numbers that are actually greater then it was before Europeans came to America) but I'm sure many momuments and stuff would stil be around. I mean look at Stonehenge or the Great Pyramids, they've been around for a few thousand years if not longer.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think the rats would take over and evolve into a sentient, warlike species... They'd be like us except with pointier features and worse breath. Oh, and fur.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Don't forget that we had fur until we became bipeds. The fact that we don't is an adaptation to heat loss for long-distance running, which bipedalism made possible for us, but most biped species do end up as runners, don't they? And you need grasping hands first, before the bipedalism, or the front limbs will just atrophy (T. rex rats!)

Generalist, rodent-like creatures are a good evolutionary starting point. The ancestor of all living mammals was similar, as was the first marsupial that colonized Australia and diversified into the marsupial wildlife we see there today. But that's without other mammals already filling all of those niches. For a mass extinction event, you'd expect the little rodent-like things to be the most likely to survive and also be the most suited to diversify into unoccupied niches, but just removing humans, who aren't in any particular competition with rodents now, wouldn't really change their opportunities all that much.

It's hard to imagine where sapience might evolve again, because it happened more or less by accident the first time - primarily a result of pressure for the parts of the brain involved in handling large social groups and the parts involved in toolmaking, I think. But I think the article's right that the first thing you'd see with the removal of humans would be the return of the large herbivores and their predators - we wiped those species out recently enough that even if we weren't exerting any pressure on those niches today, they still wouldn't have bounced back.

Really, next up for developing sapience might be the dolphins, if they're not there yet. = )
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cockroaches and ivy will rule. Those two are indestructible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It used to be said that cockroaches and rats would survive a nuclear war.

The advice, then, was to get under your refrigerator if you saw a mushroom cloud.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast