Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accessing Samba share issues

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Accessing Samba share issues

I'm going to guess here. I think the problems are with the hosts REYTV and LOUNBEN. These devices sometimes run an earlier version of Samba (v2) and have aspects that are not compatible with the version of Samba you are running on Ubuntu which is v3.6. I think you should just live with what you have.
    -BAB1

Beans

Yeah cheers. Thanks for the help. I'll just set the wd to static ipaddress as that was the only thing that will really change ip addresses and stuff up the system. That would have been the simple solution from the start but I just thought I might have been missing something

Beans

If you have nothing else to do and want to try a "Hail Mary Pass" experiment bypass this netbios issue all together and access by mDNS ( host-name.local ) instead:
    Code:
    //lounben.local/media /media/Media cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0 
    //lounben.local/media3 /media/Media3 cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    //reytv.local/media2 /media/Media2 cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    I'm not sure I associated the correct host name to the right ip address and I don't think it needs to be capitalized so you might want to check that.

It will only work if all of these devices speak avahi/bonjour/zeroconf/whatever-its-called. If they are supposed to support Apple products your chances may be good.

Beans

Cheers for the idea... not sure how that would work but I gave it a shot and got the following

Code:
    mount error: could not resolve address for lounben.local: Unknown error
    mount error: could not resolve address for lounben.local: Unknown error
    mount error: could not resolve address for reytv.local: Unknown error
    Cheers for the idea though... would you mind kind of explaining how that would work?

Ben

Beans

Anything running avahi/bonjour can find and access each other with a hostname.local. All Apple products have this by default and as it turns out so do most Linux OS's.

Wherever you do a hostname you can do a hostname.local. Like:

ping hostname.local
    nautilus smb://hostname.local
    nautilus ssh://hostname.local

But avahi/bonjour ( apple calls it bonjour ) must be running and it's ports must be open. It's a miracle really in an all Linux or a Linux/OSX/iOS network.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12