Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13.04, no option to install alongside Win7

Beans

13.04, no option to install alongside Win7

Hi
    Been searching the forum for notes about dual booting alongside an existing Win7 installation.
    Everything I found suggests that there is an option in the install program ( from USB ) to install
    'alongside existing windows 7', but I dont see that. Just 'replace Windows 7' and 'Something else'.

If I choose 'something else', then I appear to need to know something about partition shrinking/creation
    etc & I am not 100% confident enough to 'learn by failure' on that subject !

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 13.04, no option to install alongside Win7

Do you already have 4 primary partitions on a mbr partitioned drive? That's the most common cause for your problem. Ubuntu needs a few partitions, but many computers with pre-installed windows 7 come partitioned in such a way that adding those partitions is impossible without first deleting one. This post may help you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post11299287

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

IF you're serious about wanting dual-boot with Win7, then read through the details below BEFORE charging ahead with Ubuntu installation:

You need to see the disk partitions when you boot into Win7 and use the Disk Management utility. Count the partitions you see. IF there are already four of them, that is the maximum allowed. IF you FORCE the creation of another, not only will that automatically convert the Basic Volumes into Dynamic Disks (something you do NOT want to do), it will then PREVENT the installation of Linux.

If you decide to continue on with dual-boot, then use ONLY the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink the Win7 OS partition to make room on the drive. Win7 is very finicky about its OS partition being messed with from "outside" with other tools -- like GParted. While it may be OK, it's more likely to result in filesystem corruption, which will then render Win7 unbootable.

And, after you create some free space, do NOT format it using the Win7 Disk Management utility; leave it as free space.

Then BEFORE you install Ubuntu, use the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You might need this later if the dual-boot install corrupts the Win7 boot loader.

When you then install Ubuntu, use the "Something Else" option to allow Manual Partitioning.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

if u wanna dual boot, just choose something else, n choose d partition u want to use. if u doubt bot d partition, make it from windows..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Do you already have 4 primary partitions on a mbr partitioned drive? That's the most common cause for your problem. Ubuntu needs a few partitions, but many computers with pre-installed windows 7 come partitioned in such a way that adding those partitions is impossible without first deleting one. This post may help you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post11299287
    That's what I was thinking basically. Completely disregard post #4.

I had that sort of problem on my first ubuntu install. It was on a Compaq, which is really an HP, and this is common on HP machines. They put a separate partition on the opposite end of the drive from the windows boot partition, with their restore or HP bloatware stuff. I had to delete that partition and expand the main one to fill the space in windows, then install dual boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tyar View Post
    ... if u doubt bot d partition, make it from windows..
    If you're saying to create the partition for Ubuntu from Windows, that's really BAD advice ... Windows can't make Linux filesystem partitions, you should KNOW that before giving such advice.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi

I just wanted t mention an alternative form of duel booting which does not rely on the creation of a duel boot menu. The menu can get screwed up by subsequent Windows or even Ubuntu updates so that you are locked out of both OSs! I left Windows on my primary physical HDD and fitted a secondary physical HDD expecially for Ubuntu.

Here is a link to the post that suggested this alternative. I reproduce it here:

Re: How do I avoid duel boot menu problems arising from Ubuntu/Windows updates?
    This is what I did to overcome that same problem. THREE Seperate Hard Drives. No partitions. No Boot Loader.
    Connected the first hard drive and booted off of the CD and installed Windows 8. Disconnected that Hard Drive and connected the Second HD. Installed Windows 7. Disconnected that HD and connected
    a Third HD and Installed Ubuntu.
    Then went back and connected all three Hard Drives. Now when I turn on the Computer I press the F12 Key and from the menu select which HD to Boot off of. IF I don't press anything Windows 8 Boots up.
    The Primary HD can be set in the BIOS.
    I didn't need Windows 8. I am happy with Windows 7 so I just needed to fit a second HDD. It seems to be working OK (knock on wood).
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; June 9th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That method is all well and good, provided you have multiple physical HDDs to work with.

That "duel boot menu", or dual boot menu, rather , is GRUB. There are situations where it can "get screwed up", but they are easily rectified with the use of a LiveDVD or USB.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Unhappy Re: 13.04, no option to install alongside Win7

This all seems a bit silly.. (im just annoyed) lol
    I mean.. a month ago I installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a dell laptop with WIn7 (dual boot)
    I got the option.. "Install Ubuntu 13.04 alongside Windows 7", which I used, and everything worked flawlessly.

I'm now attempting to install 13.04 on another dell laptop with win7 -dual boot again.. and I get only this
    Screenshot from 2013-06-24 00:41:44.png

I know I can choose "Something else" and manually resize and change partitions,
    but honestly.. I've never had much luck with dual boot installs using that method. lol :/
    Everytime I let ubuntu do it though, it seems to work fine.
    If it was my computer I'd just wipe it, but is not mine.

Here is what my partitions look like
    . Screenshot from 2013-06-24 00:49:08.png

Marks Phelps confused me. :/ lol

Is there a simple way around this without f'n everything up..er what? Thanks.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans

You are correct about the lack of options in this case,however I have installed from a USB drive (Netbootin) that did have that option. Try downloading the ISO again, only get the 32 bit instead of the 64bit or vise versa just to see what options you end up with. ( sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast