Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compiling Cinelerra on 64-bit Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HOWTO: Compiling Cinelerra on 64-bit Ubuntu

Yesterday I received my AMD64 processor (AMD Athlon 64 3400+) and I decided to give the 64-bit edition of Ubuntu a go. One of the first things I did was trying to compile Cinelerra, I heard that it worked best on 64-bit PC's. Before this I already compiled it a few times on my old 32-bit Ubuntu installation but compiling on 64-bit gives a few problems you don't get with 32-bit. I finally completed the compilation about 5 minutes ago, but I got numerous errors and other problems so I decided to make a small tutorial on how to do it.

In this tutorial you will downloaded a lot of source-code and stuff like that so I recommend you to make an empty folder on your desktop, cd to that folder and execute all the commands there.

Before you start with the tutorial, you need to install all the packages that are needed (you need to have the extra repositories enabled for this, check out the Ubuntu wiki if you want to know how to do this, or check this thread: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188264):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential automake1.7 libtool xorg-dev libasound2-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libtheora-dev libopenexr-dev libdv4-dev libpng3-dev libjpeg62-dev uuid-dev libmjpegtools-dev liba52-dev liblame-dev libsndfile1-dev libfaac-dev libfaad2-dev fftw3-dev libraw1394-dev libavc1394-dev libtiff4-dev subversion checkinstall yasm
    I learned most of this from this thread: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188264
    Thanks to Iprofil for learning me the (Cinelerra) compiling basics
    Cinelerra community version homepage: http://cvs.cinelerra.org
    Offical Cinelerra homepage with explanation of what Cinelerra is: http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

1. Compiling and installing x264

First we need to compile x264, because the x264 packages in the Ubuntu repositories are not compiled correctly to be used for compiling Cinelerra (in 32-bit Ubuntu they are compiled correctly but in 64-bit Ubuntu they are not). The first thing we need to do is get the latest x264 revision:
    Code:
    svn co svn://svn.videolan.org/x264/trunk x264
    Then cd into the folder (cd x264) and execute the configure file. However, you need to add the flag --enable-pic, this way x264 will compile in the right way so you can use it with the compilation of Cinelerra.
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-pic
    When this is ready, we will compile x264, just type 'make' when you are inside the x264 folder:
    Code:
    make
    After this, install it with 'make install':
    Code:
    make install
    Now you are done with installing x264, let's move on to the important part: compiling and installing Cinelerra!

2. Compiling and installing Cinelerra

Get the latest revision of Cinelerra:
    Code:
    svn checkout svn://cvs.cinelerra.org/repos/cinelerra/trunk/hvirtual
    cd into the hvirtual folder that was created when downloading to latest revision and edit the autogen.sh file with gedit:
    Code:
    gedit autogen.sh
    Find this:
    Code:
    # export AUTOMAKE=/usr/bin/automake-1.7
    # export ACLOCAL=/usr/bin/aclocal-1.7
    and remove the hashes (#) in front of both lines, and save the file.
    Now we are going to compile Cinelerra. cd to the hvirtual directory and execute the following commands:
    Code:
    ./autogen.sh
    ./configure
    make
    You have the biggest chance on compile errors in the make process. If you follow this tutorial carefully it shouldn't go wrong but sometimes it still does. Don't panic, I solved most of the problems with Google, just enter (parts of) the error message. With a little smart thinking most of the problems can be easily solved.

When everything is compiled succesfully, the only thing left to do is installing Cinelerra. Most people do it with 'make install' but I prefer to do it with 'checkinstall' because it creates a Debian package of the program so you can easily remove the program again and you can also easily distribute it to others.
    The only thing you have to do is type this when you are in the hvirtual folder:
    Code:
    checkinstall
    It will create a Debian package and will also lead you through a simple process where you can set all the options of the Debian package, like the name, description, version, maintainer, architecture etc. Be sure to set the architecture to 'amd64' (not 'x86_64'!) otherwise it will not install.

This is the end of my tutorial, I hope you will enjoy Cinelerra, it's a great piece of software. Be sure to checkout http://cvs.cinelerra.org regulary to see if a new version has been released, then you will have to recompile again. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or in Iprofil's thread: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188264
    Last edited by chainzz; August 15th, 2006 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added yasm to packages that need to be installed (thanks Iprofil)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compiling Cinelerra on 64-bit Ubuntu

Nevermind, figured it out myself, thanks for the good HOWTO though.
    Last edited by mkw87; July 18th, 2006 at 02:53 AM.
    Desktop: Opty 165 @ 289x9, 1.38v | 2x1GB G.Skill, 3-4-4-8, 2.6v | nVidia 7600GT | Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Laptop: Intel Centrino Duo T2300 | 2 GB Ram | Intel 945GM Graphics | Intel 3945ABG Wireless

Beans

Small corrections

Hi Chainzz,

nice to meet you again on this thread. How comes that i bought myself a AMD-Athlon 64 3000+ 2 weeks ago and that i want to compile Cinelerra on my 64-bit Edgy? Coincidence?

I tried your tutorial and there are some small corections i would like to add:

When i am compiling x264 i get:
    Code:
    make: yasm: Command not found
    make: *** [common/amd64/dct-a.o] Error 127
    so you need to add yasm to your list of packages to install like:

1. Compiling and installing x264

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential automake1.7 libtool xorg-dev libasound2-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libtheora-dev libopenexr-dev libdv4-dev libpng3-dev libjpeg62-dev uuid-dev libmjpegtools-dev liba52-dev liblame-dev libsndfile1-dev libfaac-dev libfaad2-dev fftw3-dev libraw1394-dev libavc1394-dev libtiff4-dev subversion checkinstall yasm
    Poorly my compiling session breaks after 5 minutes and says:

Code:
    if /bin/bash ../../../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../..    -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64    -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -I./.. -g -O2 -MT x264.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/x264.Tpo" \
              -c -o x264.lo `test -f 'x264.c' || echo './'`x264.c; \
            then mv -f ".deps/x264.Tpo" ".deps/x264.Plo"; \
            else rm -f ".deps/x264.Tpo"; exit 1; \
            fi
     gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -I./.. -g -O2 -MT x264.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/x264.Tpo -c x264.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/x264.o
    x264.c: In function 'X264_init':
    x264.c:139: error: 'struct <anonymous>' has no member named 'b_cbr'
    make[5]: *** [x264.lo] Error 1
    make[5]: Leaving directory `/opt/hvirtual/quicktime/ffmpeg/libavcodec'
    make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/opt/hvirtual/quicktime/ffmpeg/libavcodec'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/hvirtual/quicktime/ffmpeg'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/hvirtual/quicktime'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/hvirtual'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    I will try to fix it and post the solution.

#######

/lprofil
    Last edited by lprofil; July 28th, 2006 at 05:16 PM.

Beans

Fixed !!!

Shops are closing soon and i need to get some food before i end up starving with an empty fridge for the whole weekend.

Cinelerra is compiled now and starts (at least).

Any how and why later.

/lprofil

ps: small hint:
    google
    and
    http://www.mail-archive.com/cinelerr.../msg01767.html
    Last edited by lprofil; July 28th, 2006 at 02:30 PM.

Beans

Any progress in the last few days? I too have this problem.

AMD64. Kubuntu. Latest svn of Cinelerra (configured with
    Code:
    --with-pic
    ) and x264 (configured with
    Code:
    --extra-cflags=-fPIC --extra-asflags=-D__PIC__
    ).

Code:
    if /bin/sh ../../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../..    -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64    -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -I./.. -g -O2 -MT x264.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/x264.Tpo" -c -o x264.lo x264.c; \
            then mv -f ".deps/x264.Tpo" ".deps/x264.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/x264.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
     gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -I./.. -g -O2 -MT x264.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/x264.Tpo -c x264.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/x264.o
    x264.c: In function 'X264_init':
    x264.c:139: error: 'struct <anonymous>' has no member named 'b_cbr'
    make[5]: *** [x264.lo] Error 1

Beans

Okay, got it ... Heres what Ive learned (again platform is AMD64/Kubuntu):

1. As I write this, x264 is in rev. 537, Cinelerra is version 2.1 (subversion rev. 839). These versions are incompatible. x264.h has changed, so until Cinelerra catches up you will need rev 536. Get it with subversion:

Code:
    $ svn co svn://svn.videolan.org/x264/trunk x264 -r536
    2. x264 must be configured with the following flags:

Code:
    $ ./configure --extra-cflags=-fPIC --extra-asflags=-D__PIC__
    3. I had make problems when it got to the plugins directory, i.e. No rule to make target <blah>. I hacked my way around this (though theres no doubt a proper solution or a patch). Specifically I used a combination of grep and sed to replace all occurances within the source tree of "chromakey-hsv" with "chromakeyhsv", and "/seltempavg/" with "/denoiseseltempavg/" ... dont ask me why ...

4. Cinelerra must (I think) be configured with the following flag:

Code:
    $ ./configure --with-pic
    I also think I remember having problems with the Cinelerra tarball (its so long ago that I started this that I cant remember) so you might need to use subversion to get the Cinelerra sources.

Thats it. Its running for me now. Havent tested it out, I just know it starts okay. Id be a little concerned about those plugins in point 3 ...

Thanks for the howto chainzz =D>

Beans

Same path errors

Hi Ellarco,

i had the problems you mentioning in point 3 too. I solved it by creating the neccesary directory
    and put the requested files into it which i found in the wrong declaired pathes.

Just before "making" Cinelerra type
    Follow these steps:

Code:
    cd /opt/hvirtual
    ./configure --with-pic --disable-shared --enable-static
    Code:
    mkdir plugins/chromakey-hsv && cp plugins/chromakeyhsv/* plugins/chromakey-hsv
    Code:
    mkdir plugins/seltempavg && cp plugins/denoiseseltempavg/* plugins/seltempavg/
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    make install

I am just compiling x-264 and Cinelerra-64 bit know and will put the 64-bit deb-files on my webspace in case i works out.

/lprofil

ps: I now found some information about the bug here:
    http://cvs.cinelerra.org/svn_log.php
    Why is it actually still exsistent if i was already patched?

pps: Why am i building a 2.0 Version of Cinelerra if the CVS-Version claims it is 2.1 ?

Answer: My fault!
    I messed up:
    svn checkout svn://cvs.cinelerra.org/repos/cinelerra/trunk/hvirtual
    with this:
    svn checkout svn://cvs.cinelerra.org/repos/cinelerra/tags/r1_2_2-last/hvirtual
    Last edited by lprofil; July 28th, 2006 at 11:25 PM.

Beans

Ready compiled instalable 64-bit Cinelerra and X264 .deb packages

Hi,

it worked out with compiling the 64-bit packages of Cinelerra.

You might shortcut chainzz steps if you are fine with a Cinelerra Version from the 28th of July.
    Download the 64-bit deb-files from:
    http://ww2.fs.ei.tum.de/~dr/

Then:

Code:
    Now:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    in the folder where you downloaded your two 64-bit files too.

Finally start cinelerra as root:

Code:
    sudo cinelerra

Fahrvergnügen

/lprofile
    Last edited by lprofil; July 28th, 2006 at 05:18 PM.

Beans

Well done.

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Compiling Cinelerra on 64-bit Ubuntu

Thanks for the docs, this page helped a lot in getting Cinellera compiled and running on my machine.

I've managed to compile and run cinelerra on a fresh install of ubuntu 6.06 amd64. Some notes are here if it helps anyone. It took days, there's different sources, obscure notes, and the cinelerra svn server happened to disappear for a bit, leaving behind only a post it thunbtacked to the newsgroup. Such is the way it goes . . .

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast