Thread: Atheros atk9k - Slow Performance?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Atheros atk9k - Slow Performance?

Just got a new laptop, an Acer Aspire V5-571P. Everything works pretty good. A lot of people complained about the wifi not working at all, but mine worked out of the box. It does seem rather sluggish, although I have no empirical evidence. Just that my other laptop, which had Intel wifi of some sort, pulls up pages instantly on the same network. My, whereas this laptop takes several extra seconds before beginning to display a page. first thought was to install Compat-Wifi drivers, but apparently they do not compile well with 13.04 (64-bit, if that matters)

That said, here's is a little info about the wireless adapter:

Code:
    *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter
           vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 01
           serial: DELETED
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.8.0-23-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.101 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
           resources: irq:19 memory:f0500000-f057ffff memory:dfa00000-dfa0ffff
    And I ran a ping test while typing this up, here are the results
    Code:
    --- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
    304 packets transmitted, 276 received, 9% packet loss, time 303570ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 30.996/53.574/1715.894/149.411 ms, pipe 2
    As you can see, I have a 9% packet loss, which I guess would be the only hard evidence that I have to support the sluggishness.. So what can I do to further troubleshoot and attempt to fix it? The only thing I have tried so far is to add an ath9k.conf file to /etc/modprobe.d to add the nohwcrypt=1 option.

Thanks
    Last edited by mykrob; June 7th, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: SOLVED
    "Despite millions of dollars of research, Death continues to be Americas number one killer."

Kingdom Computer Solutions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Atheros atk9k - Slow Performance?

Tried rmmod acer-wmi and it made no difference. Just wanted to put that out there too.
    "Despite millions of dollars of research, Death continues to be Americas number one killer."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think I may have solved the issue. I will mark it as such after running a ping with 0% packet loss for at least 1000 packets...
    But I disabled power management on the wireless adapter, and got 0% for 200 pings. Will report back after this next test.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think I may have solved the issue. I will mark it as such after running a ping with 0% packet loss for at least 1000 packets...
    But I disabled power management on the wireless adapter, and got 0% for 200 pings. Will report back after this next test.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

1000 packets, with 0% packet loss. Gonna go ahead an make this change permanent.

http://itechscotland.wordpress.com/2...ent-in-ubuntu/

Will post back if I notice any negative side effects, but as of right now, the internet works as it should, and I like this laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

NOTE: One thing the article fails to mention, be sure to do this:

Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    otherwise, the script will not execute on reboot. So if you have already done this, check your power management by typing iwconfig and seeing what's reported. If it didn't survive a reboot, apply the code above, and it should survive after a reboot.