Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4K and 8K Super HD Resolution Support in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

4K and 8K Super HD Resolution Support in Ubuntu

If you have been following the news, you'd have known that various TV and computer monitor manufacturers have unveiled 4K and 8K super HD resolutions, which is almost 4-8 times more definition than 1080p. So the question is, when do you think support will arrive for those kind of resolutions in Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: 4K and 8K Super HD Resolution Support in Ubuntu

That will be up to the graphics card manufacturers. I see that ATI has a 4K card for about $1K now. If they write Linux-compatible drivers for it, then it will be available to users.

Of course, with 4K displays still in the multi-thousands of dollars, I doubt these technologies will be in many homes for quite a while.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

True, but it's always good to be ahead of the game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wonder if Xorg would collapse under the strain of trying to throw 33 megapixels onto a screen, 30 times per second.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Well X mat not be a factor once weyland and Mir take hold

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Its already possible with Windows, - I tried it by mistake, and later for fun on a 4K screen which was part of a main stage display. Havent tried it with Ubuntu though, and I dont have access to that screen right now.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Its already possible with Windows, - I tried it by mistake, and later for fun on a 4K screen which was part of a main stage display. Havent tried it with Ubuntu though, and I dont have access to that screen right now.
    If you could try it with Ubuntu when you get the chance it would be great.

Beans
    Distro

The support is already here. The Nvidia Quadro K5000 supports 4K TV and works with the current Linux Nvidia driver so buy the right kit and it will work without any problems.

You're talking about a £2,000 graphics card and £20,000 for a TV though.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Managed to get some time tonight to test it out. I can't really take a picture because I kind of 'borrowed' the screen that was on a working stage.

Specs (I doubt it matters anyways):
    CPU: E3-1290 v2
    RAM: 16GB
    Graphics: Nvidia Quadro K5000 + Nvidia Tesla K20????

The Nvidia Quadro was originally setup to create design/simulations and realtime 3D rendering, and was setup to use Nvidia Maximus with a Tesla K20. When I first started it up, it didn't show the K20, so I personally dont even know if its being used at all. Im not bored enough to detatch it. Required a bit of struggling, but patched it into the display with a displayport cable.

Xorg managed to open FF and play TSwift's VEVO channel at 1080p (was blury, but then again, 1080p without deinterlacing + full screen on a resolution thats around 4 times as high *winces*). I played a direct copy of Oz the Great on there (full blu-ray data), and that played too without issues. Wesnoth decided to struggle a bit, but thats probably because it wasnt meant to be displayed on 4K. I havent tried any Steam games because downloads take forever over a 4G connection.
    Last edited by sandyd; June 14th, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Anyone try Ubuntu with this $700 USD 4K monitor?:
    http://gdgt.com/seiki/se39uy04/specs/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast