Thread: Software Center crashes laptop to black screen, seconds later login prompt shows

Beans

Software Center crashes laptop to black screen, seconds later login prompt shows

Hey everyone,

First of all I posted this question on the AskUbuntu StackExchange website some days ago, but none were able to resolve my issue.

I am a complete new user of the Ubuntu operating system and as such I'm still horrible stuck on this problem. Here is a link to the original post for anyone who's curious:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/30471...creen-then-reo

Anyways, here is the problem and log details:

First of all I'm running the latest build of Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) on an Intel-based MacBook Pro model 8,1. I am running it on a triple boot system alongside Mac OS X and Windows 7.
    Ubuntu seems to be running perfectly stable when I do anything but using the Ubuntu Software Center.
    On the AskUbuntu website I was asked to run a dmesg lot right after the crash occoured, which I have published here:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5738159/

Outline of the problems: Essentially what happens is that I will be using Ubuntu without any problems at all, but then as soon as I launch the Ubuntu Software Center, after a seemingly random (but usually short) interval, the whole system will crash to a blank black screen, and then seconds later the login prompt you are shown when logging into the OS comes back up, and I can log in and use the system regularly again.

I've tried different things since the post on AskUbuntu, but nothing seems to work and I can't find much resources regarding that problem on the internet so I am stuck and getting quite desperate.

Thank you all for your time

Kind regards.

Beans

Re: Software Center crashes laptop to black screen, seconds later login prompt shows

Hi,
    I do not know the answer but you can use Syanptic till you get your question answered. It is the default app for (un)installing software on Debian.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install synaptic

Beans

Re: Software Center crashes laptop to black screen, seconds later login prompt shows

Quote Originally Posted by salman123 View Post
    Hi,
    I do not know the answer but you can use Syanptic till you get your question answered. It is the default app for (un)installing software on Debian.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Thank you for your reply Thank you for the tip, it is much appreciated.

Although still unfortunate that I have to do work arounds in order to actually use the OS, perhaps I should consider doing a re-install too, almost the only thing I've got left to try.