Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HD-PVR has poor image quality

Beans

HD-PVR has poor image quality

I have a HD-PVR Rev F2 that I've tried to set up a few times with limited success.
    I decided to try again now that I'm trying Mythbuntu 12.04 and I have had better progress that I've had before, which is good.

I'm using component cables from my cable box (Foxtel in Australia) to the HD-PVR and I'm getting a very soft image. It is equivalent to the image quality I get from my Wintv PVR2 and nowhere near the quality I see on the TV with the image passing through the HD-PVR or direct to the TV. Unless I am mistaken I should be seeing a much higher quality image.

Is there something I need to do to improve my image quality?

Wayne

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: HD-PVR has poor image quality

This wiki page; http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR has some good info that might help you.
    Look at secion 9. Bitrate and Picture Controls and see if changing the defaults helps.

Beans

I've tried changing the bitrate for the HD-PVR in the Mythbackend Recording Profiles but I havent noticed any change at all.

So I went to the wiki and tried to follow the instructions but I'm stuck. I tried the first thing there to see what would happen and I got this:

# v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-ctrl=video_bitrate=13500000
    The program 'v4l2-ctl' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    apt-get install v4l-utils

So then I did what it said:

# apt-get install v4l-utils
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    v4l-utils : Depends: libv4l-0 (= 0.8.6-1ubuntu1) but 0.8.6-1ubuntu2 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So now I have no idea what to do next. I'm not very confident with the command line so I need basic instructions.

Wayne

Beans

Does anyone have any ideas how I can move forward from here?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you tried upgrading your system to fix the held packages:
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    review what is going to be installed or removed, and press y.

Beans

Thanks, that got things working again.

I've tried the commands and scripts on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR but I'm not seeing any change in picture quality for better or worse when I change the bitrate.
    I've done some testing in VLC and the picture quality is better, but still not quite what I see on the TV. Changing the bitrate made no change in VLC either.

When I hook the HDPVR up to windows I get near perfect picture quality when comparing to the TV display. In Windows I can see that the input resolution is 720x576 (576i), and it's using a bitrate of 5.0MB

My other issue is that no matter what I playback through it comes up as 4:3 when the source is 16:9.

Any ideas why I'm not seeing any improvement?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What firmware version are you using on your HD-PVR? Have you changed to recording profile for the HD-PVR in mythtv
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

My HD-PVR is using firmware 1.7.30059.1

I have found and tried changing the bitrates in the HD-PVR recording profiles in backend setup. Do I need to tell it to use one of those profiles somewhere?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't believe so. What kernel version are you running? According to the HD-PVR mythtv wiki - http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge...sion_Stability - firmware versions later than 1.6.29207 will have color and saturation issues when run with a kernel earlier than 3.2.34, which may be what you are experiencing. You can try one of the fixes listed in the wiki for this issue (downgrade firmware version, upgrade kernel, run a script adjusting the parameters before every recording). I had this problem and ended up downgrading the firmware version.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

My Kernel is 3.5.0-34

I dont believe my issue is anything to do with colour saturation. My image quality in mythtv has a soft fuzziness to it rather than the crisp image I see on the TV or in Windows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast