Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how long can you survive without..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

how long can you survive without..

...sleep. Think I'm into day 3 now. I'm talking no sleep at all, not like when you haven't slept very long and you tell people you haven't slept, I've been bouncing around for over 58 hours now.
    I can barely type but my mind is wide awake, I'm having to google every other word because I can't turn my spell check on and nothing I type looks right, I just rolled a smoke with the sticky bit on the inside & when I speak words come out in the wrong order.

I left the title without sleep in it in case it turns into one of those game threads
    That'll keep me entertained till I kick the bucket, new game. Same sort of deal as wish corruption except when someone asks 'survive without -insert comedy-' you can only answer with cold hard facts before you ask your question. Most interesting answer wins. A kind of forum version of QI...It's a TV program in case you haven't seen it

This thread should probably be in games now but I do still want an aswer to my question...Or some temazepam
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: how long can you survive without..

I once, after a surgery (pain) went 3 days without sleep. That was +72 hours. Scary part was that I could have thrown some clots, causing a blockage due to embolisms. I had feet like balloons.

Be careful. Don't drive. Go to bed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

For most people the hallucinations start at about 80 hours.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I went sleepless (and was busy as) from 0630 on a Thur until 0745 on the Sunday. Then, driving home, I ran off the road and put the car's front wheel about 10 feet from the hole on the 12th at my local golf course. The head groundsman was NOT impressed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Had he gone longer without sleep?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

typical you nearly get hurt and some guys worried about how it's inconvenienced him
    pain's been helping me stay awake too, my backs killing me. The doctor refused me pain killers because they're addictive (they don't even do anything for me other than kill pain) even though last time I had them was in february (ha febuarry), so I'm goin to see him in 10mins or so...well pain and amazing coffee's been keeping me awake...pain, amazing coffe & ubuntu
    I have started laughing at bugger all every now and again so it's not all doom and gloom
    when on thin ice; dance

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by greatsirkain View Post
    Think I'm into day 3 now.
    Are you a hummingbird of some kind already? ;)

Seriously though, going without sleep on purpose (like we probably all did back in our uni days before a hard exam) one time and knowing it's gonna be over soon is sort of OK though still should be avoided if possible. But insomnia is no laughing matter. Visit a doctor. Find something that will help you relax and sleep (preferably without any pills).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I was a little jittery, went to the docs...I'm now doing the no pants but tramadol dance, he gave me a load of anti-histamines too

<------ is there not a bigger grin smiley than that?...We should get one of those
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I believe I once went five days, although it might have been four; I was certainly not in a good way. Your body will generally knock you out before it gets to the point (I woke up on the bathroom floor).

While I'm sure one can die from lack of sleep, it would have to be due to a hardcore neurological or cerebral problem - and while the period would vary wildly depending on the person, I should imagine it would be over a week - possibly longer. I'd be surprised if there wasn't permanent damage after that amount of time.

Thankfully, 'real' insomnia is pretty rare.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

About 10 years ago I was having a strong depression and stress episodes, and used to go 5 days without sleep or barely sleeping less than two hours a day (if you can call "sleep", being somewhat asleep but with your thoughts spinning painfully non stop). If you're going through a similar situation I'd suggest to go to a doctor or psychiatrist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast