Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Error fixing broken packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Error fixing broken packages

Here is the error I get when trying to fix broken packages..any advice?

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Unable to correct dependencies
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Error fixing broken packages

I think it's fixed. Had to see which package was causing the error
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Going to try and reinstall the entire Ubuntu desktop, since it completely erased all my packages. Will post and see if I have any errors, but it may take a bit since I can only get in through the recovery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

is there anyway to reinstall the entire system? I tried a sudo altogether install Ubuntu desktop and was met with w:not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/ dpkg/lock. e: unable to write to var/cache / apt
    E: package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened. is it to late to save my ubuntu 1304 install?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sox fan Matt; Hi !

You must have some idea of how many thousands of versions and desk tops there are out there, so which one is yours ?
    Can not help if I do not know what I am doing.

just a thought
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi bashing,

I am trying to run Ubuntu 13.04. I had broken packages which I was able to remove trying to update the system, in which I got the error which is above. I attempted a Sudo apt-get install Ubuntu-desktop, in which I had the error above. All my packages were basically wiped off the map in trying to fix is one issue. w:not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/ dpkg/lock. e: unable to write to var/cache / apt
    E: package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened. This is the error I received.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I dualboot this with W7 if it helps.
    Last edited by sports fan Matt; June 5th, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can't find much help with google as I've tried to Suso-apt-get install ntu-desktop and tried to reconfigure -a without luck as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm just going to go ahead and re install. I have a fast connection so it should only take a few hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll wait for a few hours to see if anyone has any advice. Didn't make any changes yet

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast