Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 update - Grub - keyboard and mouse freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 12.04 update - Grub - keyboard and mouse freeze

Normand; Hey !

I am back and been looking... To start with I do not know anything about "dropBox" and do not intend to be explicitly derogatory... I am concerned that "dropbox" has made changes to your system and without your knowledge or permission.
    Linux [edit]In Linux, the ext2, ext3, ext4, JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Btrfs and OCFS2 1.6 filesystems support extended attributes (abbreviated xattr) when enabled in the kernel configuration. Any regular file or directory may have extended attributes consisting of a name and associated data. The name must be a null-terminated string prefixed by a namespace identifier and a dot character. Currently, four namespaces exist: user, trusted, security and system. The user namespace has no restrictions with regard to naming or contents. The system namespace is primarily used by the kernel for access control lists. The security namespace is used by SELinux, for example.
    Extended attributes are not widely used in user-space programs in Linux, although they are supported in the 2.6[1] and later versions of the kernel. Beagle and Dropbox do use extended attributes, and freedesktop.org published recommendations[2] for their use.
    For ext2/3/4 and btrfs, each extended attribute is limited to a filesystem block (e.g. 4 KiB), and in practice in ext2/3/4 all of them must fit together on a single block (including names and values). XFS and ReiserFS allow attributes of arbitrary size.
    There is some ongoing work[3] to support extended attributes over NFSv3.
    Extended attributes can be accessed and modified using the 'attr' command on most distributions.[4]
    That is in reference to your fstab and the user_attr attribute ! Seems to my mind (naive ?) that -that can wreck havoc with file system access. Now I imagine "dropbox" has to have that attribute in order to keep the update/status database correct... but !!

1. Permissions on your system appear to be messed up; and I can admit that finding and correcting these access rights are above my knowledge of the depths of the operating system. I can deal with the high level obvious stuff but ?? system wide ??
    2. We do not know where your new /home got off to..where did the present old /home come from ? DropBox ???
    In conjunction I want to know what is in the /lost+found/ directory.
    do:
    Code:
    cd /
    sudo ls -la /lost+found/
    and post me the output.
    3. We are going to redo /etc/fstab/ AND find that new /home.... failing to find the new /home and getting it copied into place... I strongly advise to (re-)install the operating system... with a standard stable system you may then make the additions with discretion and knowledge of what and why you are doing it and what the repercussions are. Now that said, if you want to try and fix some more and get your present operating system stable... I am all for it...As said I enjoy a challenge and a good puzzle !

There is great merit in dual booting, how bout when we get your "work"install all in shape; install 13.04 as your good ole standby that you will keep solid and stable for times like this... mess up "work" station and you are still able to run and perform with another OS is place. I would in that event put 13.04 on sdb separate and segregated... bootable with a change in bios boot order AND accessible from the "work" station on demand.

we can do this
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello Bashing-om

norman@norman-desktop:/$ sudo ls -la /lost+found/
    [sudo] password for norman:
    total 20
    drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Feb 14 2011 .
    drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Jun 9 12:36 ..
    norman@norman-desktop:/$

I am sure that the current home is from the previously running 10:10 version that I upgraded in may 2012
    And that the 12.04 home I had a few weeeks ago got trashed when we got rid of the linux partition on sdb

I am up for putting 13.04 on sdb

When grub launches the keyboard is still stuck ... so I'm unable to step down options. Maybe with a fresh 13.04 that will sort the grub thing.

But I am concerned that with the /home problem I am currently not able to access various things as root/admin (such as managing user accounts).
    Might a dual boot just transfer this problem into the new install? Beyond me? Will this 13.04 on sdb have its own admin or is it dependent on what is already happening here?
    OK ... re-reading your last lines ... we do this once we have the rest sorted. Sounds fine.

I am whacked and with a cold coming on. I have another 45 mins in me to do any inmmediate things ... and a long busy morning tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro

At this stage I have come to terms with losing the recent /Home and can lose most the 2000 music files that won't copy to the back up disk.
    .... to do a completely clean install .... Leaving this decision til Saturday

Then keep Dropbox on my notebook which only ever has copies of some of my work ... so it does not matter if it goes funny,
    I can clean install it without worry or loss.

Just thinking aloud. We have put a lot of time into this and it is nice to 'find' a solution ... but I need to rest and work ... I'm getting a bit stressed.

Beans
    Distro

Normand; Being stressed and aggravated is understandable.
    If we are going to fix your current /home... need to get the permissions and access rights in-line;
    Fix fstab so dropbox is out of the picture
    Then if and when the permission issues are resolved... try and get the alsa-sound to populate that directory (launchpad)(an access thing ?)

I see nothing in /lost+found/ to warrant looking further... the new /home as you say must be gone gone...

Permissions: show me;
    Code:
    echo $XAUTHORITY
    ls -la ~/.Xauthority
    ls -la ~/.ICEauthority
    fstab:
    Make a backup of the present /etc/fstab 'cause, never can tell what might happen
    UUID=3d82fda2-a7b4-4bb2-b4b2-0334e9a039ab / ext4 errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 1

remove the "user_xattr" attribute... with out "drop box" installed, this may be driving the OS nuts !

Floppy disk: Do you really still have and use a floppy disk drive ? -just asking if that entry in fstab is still relevant.

And if you can not boot into your operating system, ask yourself if we are throwing good effort after bad ? Is it time to throw in the towel and just (re-)install...with care and attention we can (re-)install and never touch the data outside of the ubuntu install partition(s).
    GParted is an excellent partitioner...confusing at first ...read all the help documentation anyway (again). For a production machine I like to set up with the partitioner "/", "/home" and "/var/" -- I do not advise a separate "/boot" partition. Now-a-days I think it beneficial to keep "/boot" in the root directory. And on this production machine I would strongly advise version 12.04 Long Term Support ..in the long term -stability-!

Your call, however, whatever and whenever.

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

Good Morning Bashing-om, thanks once more. Trying this with a stinking cold before I go out.

norman@norman-desktop:~$ echo $XAUTHORITY
    /home/norman/.Xauthority
    norman@norman-desktop:~$ ls -la ~/.Xauthority
    -rw------- 1 norman norman 59 Jun 14 07:41 /home/norman/.Xauthority
    norman@norman-desktop:~$ ls -la ~/.ICEauthority
    -rw------- 1 norman norman 103958 Jun 14 07:41 /home/norman/.ICEauthority

I see that the ect/fstab file is from March 2011
    norman@norman-desktop:~$ UUID=3d82fda2-a7b4-4bb2-b4b2-0334e9a039ab / ext4 errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 1
    bash: /: Is a directory
    norman@norman-desktop:~$

Depending how I am feeling I will endeavour to get everything onto my external hard drive this evening

Beans
    Distro

Normand; Wish you were well..
    Summer cold ! Yuk ! Leaves one unable to think well...
    Permissions/access:...all looks in order....will have to so some testing and probing to see where the fault (if any now ) lies.

After making the edits to /etc/fstab -> (making the edits and Rebooting) where do we stand now ? Able to boot from sda hard drive with no issues in the booting process ? OR ----

Are we "throwing in the towel" and re-doing your operating system at large ?

which way did he go, George

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

Hi Bashing-om

I haven't done anything new, so:
    - This machine Boots ok everytime from sda.... no access to the grub menu - keyboard frozen
    - in trying to do some of the sound troubleshooting things I get something like "You are trying to access a child which thinks you are not its parent" - permissions
    - I cannot get root access to various things ... like managing user accounts - permisions
    - I cannot get pulse audio working
    - But the sound editor Audacity ... that I need to work with is functioning as are the other main programmes I work with

My mind is to do a clean install - soon - but my new notebook is trash - I got rid of win and installed ubuntu .... ran fine but having the keyboard/touchpad freeze occationally. I have struggled on with it thinking it was something with me and Ubuntu. Getting worse over the last weeks as my destop was having its problems. I have dedicated so much time to all of this (stressed). Only to discover this afternoon that it is the hardware. Luckily it is still in guarantee.

So I dont want to any changes that could bring down my main desktop without having access to the forums etc. and some of my basic work materials ready at hand on a portable machine.
    Meantime I will get everything else I can onto the external drive.

Thank you so much for accompanying me on this journey

Beans
    Distro

Normand;

Preamble: Be advised ..addressing your problems is presently my highest priority... the delay in communications is killing us. To that end,
    below the forum main menu is a listing of all users presently logged onto the forum... When you have a reponse to my last ..and I am looged in..please feel free to PM me and advise you have an update.

Ok as to why you do not get a grub menu from boot-up... unless you have made edits to the default grub config files, that is the default behavior. In the "default" state with only 1 instance of an operating system installed; to get the grub menu -> as soon as the bios screen clears, depress and hold the shift key.

Keyboard: What keyboard are you using ? Sounds to me like what "might" be occurring is that the drivers for that keyboard have not been loaded and or initialized prior to the operating system coming "online". Like a race condition. Might do some cogitating on this and see about a module that we might explicitly load ??
    Might take a gander at the keyboard setting (System Settings) and insure they are correct in respect to the keyboard you are using.

Else. plug in a good ole usb plain keyboard and see how the system responds. --We have diverted and talking about two different boxes, no ??)

And also> in response to your thank you... We are not alone in this ..the entire ubuntu community is at our back... the whole world is watching ! I am but the first responder.

Believe me ...we are all here to help !

In this regard... you are presently booting and there is no current issue with the booting into your ubuntu system ??
    Then this thread should be closed... and I will assist you in resolving any other issues where my knowledge and experience can help IN other threads that you open....There are procedures to follow, that are inplace due to years of experience administrating this forum.

Otherwise, my focus on a problem is diluted and less functional... and my irritability is increased and I am distracted and distraught-> decreasing my ability.

what can I say admittedly
    lamebrained, one thing at a time kinda guy

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

Hi Bashing-om

Sorry if I am slowing things down. We are on different time zones and I have had to lie down the last hour exhausted with the cold. Now feeling better.

Im not sure if I understand all your proposals in each post. i think I am doing them correctly but maybe I miss something.
    I understand and respect the experience and procedures of the forum. Though I'm not always quite sure when something belongs in one or another place.

The Grub menu does come up on boot ... but I cannot step down it (say to rescue mode ... or another os if it was there) because it freezes the keyboard at that point.
    Keyboard Logitech K120 usb, plugged in at the back.
    In the original problem the system and keyboard stopped with the grub menu on the screen. And would not load ubuntu.
    Now the keyboard is frozen when the grub menu is there ... it works at bios and after ubunto loads. Ubuntu loads with other problems
    Last edited by Normand; June 15th, 2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: clearer explanation

Beans
    Distro

Normand; all is to the good - not counting colds !

A sometime thing with grub ....well let's take a look at the scripts that control grub... And let me tell you up front... my scripting skills leave a lot to be desired.... but I bet I can hack out a bit and see if I can see if there is a problem. So let us go one step deeper.
    post the outputs:
    Code:
    ls -la /etc/grub.d/
    cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    And I also want to know that the file :
    Code:
    ls -la /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
    does NOT exist.

I agree.. getting ubuntu to boot each and every time is the highest priority and will keep this thread open until it is resolved.

Keyboard: so far as I know Logitech is well supported by ubuntu ... What we can do is look at the log files and see what is reported at the time that the keyboard is not responding. This will indicate where to start looking. Log files can make very interesting reading, a bit dry though (lol).

3 feet high and rising

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast