Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Has the Best Font Rendering??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Who Has the Best Font Rendering??

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    Never heard of it. There is a utility that comes with Ubuntu (or used to), with several options. It seems to be gone from my menus, so darned if I remember what it was. It was obvious, in the system stuff. I adjusted everything once, all was perfect, and I've never touched it since.
    You are perhaps remembering the Font section of the "Appearance" panel in Gnome 2. That functionality is now included in Gnome Tweak Tool and the corresponding Unity Tweak Tool.

Here (http://www.infinality.net/blog/) is the link to the Infinality developer's site. Some of his work has been recently been incorporated into Freetype, so everyone using Linux is, or soon will be, using that code.

Huh? Those are fonts, not rendering settings. And I thought all these versions were the same. At least they're all perfect for me.
    Different fonts are rendered differently on different architectures. The Liberation fonts were designed to mimic Arial.

Amazing. The one I'm using at the moment has a setting. It's perfect by default, but any adjustment makes it terrible. I can't imagine why the setting even exists. This has nothing to do with distros.
    My monitor -- a Dell 2410 -- has no default, just a 0-100 scale. If you see no change when you adjust your monitor's sharpness control, perhaps it is not adjusting sharpness at all. I don't understand the point about distros.

Beans

All linuxes can now render fonts exactly the same beautiful way.
    Just hack your .fonts.conf file

Here is my version that makes your fonts look gorgeous.

https://gist.github.com/silv3rm00n/5599072

Also install Droid Sans, Noto sans from google free fonts.
    You cannot get fonts any better than this.

Silver

Beans

Warning: sometimes called "fritterware".

Beans

Fritterware: Software with excess capability that serves no productive end. The term describes anything that eats huge amounts of time for quite marginal gains in function but seduces people into using it anyway.
    What you consider "fritterware"? The obsessive search for the best font rendering?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    Warning: sometimes called "fritterware".

Almost all my computer time is spent reading and writing, then rinse and repeat. I want the text on my screen to look as good as it possibly can, ideally as good as the best hard copy text.

Does time spent trying to work up a better display boost productivity (speaking of obsessions) ? I dunno, but it's not really important to me.

Beans

As said before, the best way to improve font rendering on screen is having a good monitor. The more DPI (or better PPI) it has, the better it is. At some high DPI values there will be no need for font hinting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12