Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI 1 0,0,0 sda failed

Beans

Re: The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI 1 0,0,0 sda failed

Quote Originally Posted by FMFCorpsman View Post
    I cleared all partitions, created one for primary, home, and swap.
    So how many partitions do you currently have?
    Did you delete > recreate them or just formatted the previous ones?
    Did you try creating a fresh partition table?

Verunendra, unfortunately I have been hit with a double whammy, I also suffer from that Logitech mouse bug, so my control only lasts so long.
    Does the mouse not work after a while? Is the rest of the system (keyboard and other OS functions) works after that? We can do without mouse, but it would have been much better if you had a working mouse.

Is there a way I can post a .jpg of the partition I setup and the error message I get when I inititiate the partition?
    You can press "PrintScreen" key to take a screenshot, "Enter" to save it in your "Pictures" directory. Then attach it here in your post. Alternatively, you can show us the output of -
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    To limit the above output to only interesting parts, you can filter the above command to -
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l | awk 'NR>8 {print $1,"\t"$6}'
    Then note down the output and post it here.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    So how many partitions do you currently have?
    Did you delete > recreate them or just formatted the previous ones?
    Did you try creating a fresh partition table?

Does the mouse not work after a while? Is the rest of the system (keyboard and other OS functions) works after that? We can do without mouse, but it would have been much better if you had a working mouse.

You can press "PrintScreen" key to take a screenshot, "Enter" to save it in your "Pictures" directory. Then attach it here in your post. Alternatively, you can show us the output of -
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    To limit the above output to only interesting parts, you can filter the above command to -
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l | awk 'NR>8 {print $1,"\t"$6}'
    Then note down the output and post it here.
    i can no longer boot Ubuntu from my USB. When I made my partition I made 15 GB for primary and 10 GB for home and 4 GB for swap. When I pressed continue I got the above error message.

Beans
    Distro

The only saving grace is that what little money I have, I ordered a Dell Inspiron 3521, with what little money I get from military disability. I retired last from the reserves as a combat medic for 24 years. Here's to government stipends!

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry, in answer to your question I wiped the partition table on each attempt

Beans
    Distro

Is there no hope? No sugar coating please lol! Do I have any alternatives?

Beans
    Distro

Well, new memory is pretty cheap these days, so there's always that option, given that you are not averse to popping open your computer. Not much else I can think of, but it should work. If you don't want to do that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

Beans
    Distro

You don't think it could be the drive itself? I can't even restore the old windows vista restore disk without getting giant red letters that say error.

Beans
    Distro

That's what I meant. There's a pretty good chance it is dead, with what you've reported. As I said, it's pretty cheap to get memory these days. Good luck with your computer, I know how irritating memory issues can be. Remember, if possible, back up your important data.

Beans

i can no longer boot Ubuntu from my USB.
    Is the USB no more bootable or is it that the computer just refuses to boot now?

Is there no hope? No sugar coating please lol! Do I have any alternatives?
    Without sugar coating, you may try to physically disconnect the hard drive since that is what we are suspecting the most, then try booting into live mode if the USB is still fine itself. If you can boot normally in this case, at least it means the rest of your system is working. Then there are a few options to 'keep it working', some good, some... umm... 'compromising', to say the least.

PS:
    I may not get online today (we have a power failure in our area, and laptop battery is almost drained), so please don't mind if I couldn't reply soon. I'm in a rural village, where power failure can mean anything from half a day to a couple of weeks!
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Is the USB no more bootable or is it that the computer just refuses to boot now?

Without sugar coating, you may try to physically disconnect the hard drive since that is what we are suspecting the most, then try booting into live mode if the USB is still fine itself. If you can boot normally in this case, at least it means the rest of your system is working. Then there are a few options to 'keep it working', some good, some... umm... 'compromising', to say the least.

PS:
    I may not get online today (we have a power failure in our area, and laptop battery is almost drained), so please don't mind if I couldn't reply soon. I'm in a rural village, where power failure can mean anything from half a day to a couple of weeks!
    Verun, this is a new install on a 5 year old Asus laptop. No data has been lost. I removed hdd, to no avail. Install had worked before, but I had to repeat install several times to get the partitions the way I wanted then. I was hampered by the Logitech mouse bug. It is my belief that the files on the USB are corrupt and there is nothing I can do about it. I have no other computer and the windows restore disks fail to load now too.

tashi delek

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast