Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give me a file manager for Gnome3.

Beans

Give me a file manager for Gnome3.

I just wanted an editable path bar but Nautilus don't seem to have that feature and I had to go search Google finally to locate it in tweak tool. I just want a conveniently located Open as Root/sudo option in right click to every folder and file. I don't want to do gksudo nautilus everytime I need privileges for a folder. I want a split pane option. Maybe some nice views like Windows Explorer has like that preview pane with slideshow/theatre, large thumbhnails when I'm looking for images? Anything? The alternative file managers seem to be the 'Orthodox' type,. which are useful when working with multiple folders and files for quick move, copy, delete, permissions and other operations but how about a general use file manager to use also? Dolphin is not too good either. Do I need plugins or something? What file manager supports these types of plugins?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Give me a file manager for Gnome3.

"Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

You can switch to typing in the path by using CTRL+L, and then go back using ESC. That way you don't need to change it in the tweak tool. I could have sworn there was another way to do it as well, because I thought I had done it before, but I can't figure it out now.

About the other questions, I don't really know because I don't use Nautilus for that. I'm more likely to use the terminal to modify root files, etc.

Beans

https://launchpad.net/~marlin-devs/+...e/marlin-daily

just add the repo for your respective version
    so if you are using Raring:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/marlin-devs...n-daily/ubuntu raring main

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    You can switch to typing in the path by using CTRL+L, and then go back using ESC. That way you don't need to change it in the tweak tool. I could have sworn there was another way to do it as well, because I thought I had done it before, but I can't figure it out now.

About the other questions, I don't really know because I don't use Nautilus for that. I'm more likely to use the terminal to modify root files, etc.
    The other way is to use dconf-editor. Install dconf-tools, then open the doconf-editor and navigate to org > gnome > nautilus > preferences and check the box "always-use-location-entry"

Do it this way you can't switch back and forth on the fly, but I can't see why one would want to do that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post

Yeah but does it remove nautilus? If not you will have two file manager existing side by side which is confusing and may lead to problems because of which controls what and how paths are handled etc (I read that there are some issues like that with installing nemo in Ubuntu via ppa, I suppose Marlin would be similar) Frogs hair's solution seems to be cleaner.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Yeah but does it remove nautilus? If not you will have two file manager existing side by side which is confusing and may lead to problems because of which controls what and how paths are handled etc (I read that there are some issues like that with installing nemo in Ubuntu via ppa, I suppose Marlin would be similar) Frogs hair's solution seems to be cleaner.
    No that is nonsense, Marlin does not take the system hostage thus it will be fine.
    The only harm Nemo does is due to it being tied to cinnamon, but marlin is its own thing thus not tied into the system or gnome in any way.

Beans

So it will duplicate a lot of Nautilus functions but cannot replace it? What I am asking is, if say you decide you want to use Marlin full time, is it possible to get rid of nautilus without breaking your desktop?

Beans

My issues with Files (new name for Nautilus) in 13.04 are the followings: 1: The "File" menu now appears in the top bar without any local menu, if remove global menu the File menu just disappears. So I am forced to use the global menu which is a pain. 2: The absent of F3 split window function, it is idiotic to remove this function. 3. There is a bug so that if you open an external partition and minimize it and then try to restore it by clicking at the icon on the Unity bar, it will open a new instance of Nautilus instead of restoring the already opened one (only happens with external devices or partitions)

The soluOS's patched version of Nautilus 3.4 (frog hairs' link) solves all these problems. It does it in a clean way (unlike nemo) by simply replacing the 13.04 version so there is no issue of duplication or having two competing file managers in the same system. I would have used it myself if I were not using the compiz performance enhancement ppa There seems to be some strange interactions so that the patched version of Nautilus becomes sort of slow when using the compiz ppa.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 31st, 2013 at 09:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post

I just did to check it out. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't seem to figure out how to show the full path in the top bar, or if there is anything like F3 in nautilus 3.4 and before. Also, I have set marlin to be the default file manager, but if I try to open a file browser in any application it is still nautilus. Maybe need to do this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager

EDITED: Ok, googling some more it seems that marlin never supports f3 like split window function and while it allows typing in the top bar, it doesn't support showing the path to some directory you just open (thus not able to copy it) So it begs the question, what is the advantage of marlin except it is "light"? It seems it is even more stripped down than Nautilus and introduces unnecessary duplications since you can't really keep nautilus out of the picture anyway (marlin doesn't draw the desktop, for example)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 31st, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast