Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 13.04 - install failed "not possible to install bootloader at the specific"

Beans

ubuntu 13.04 - install failed "not possible to install bootloader at the specific"

I've got ubuntu 13.04 on a usb stick. I have a 60 Gig hard drive in my computer that is completely blank.
    I want to install ubuntu on this drive.
    When I boot from the usb thumb drive I can start ubuntu 13.04.
    When I go to install the operating system it gets all the way to installing the "bootloader"
    Then I get the following message
    "Not possible to install bootloader at the specified location"
    then there are 2 radio buttons
    "continue without bootloader"
    "cancel the installation"

I tried installing the bootloader to another drive but no luck.
    I really want the bootloader on my 60 Gig drive and want to use the F8 key at boot to select this drive and boot directly from it.
    I don't want a "dual boot" system installed on my C: drive where windows 7 pro is installed.

I checked the drive in the program mini tool partition wizard:
    Here's what it says about the drive:
    49.5 Gig, primary active partition, format Ext4
    7.7 Gig, logical, format Linux Swap
    2 Meg unallocated.

What do I need to do to get the bootloader on this drive so that I can boot to ubuntu using the F8 key on my system at boot time??

Please reply

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu 13.04 - install failed "not possible to install bootloader at the specific

The installer will default to installing the Grub bootloader into the MBR of the first hard disk (sda - sata disk a). If the Windows disk drive is sda then the Ubuntu installer is trying to install Grub into sda unless you have directed it to the 60GB drive that may be called sdb.

Are you using the Do Something Else option and are you instructing then installer to put Grub into the MBR of the correct disk? You could try installing with the Windows drive disconnected. Then the 60GB drive will be the only drive and it will be sda and the installer might automatically get it right.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: ubuntu 13.04 - install failed "not possible to install bootloader at the specific

grahammechanical,

Thanks so much for the reply.
    Here's the deal on my system.
    I have 5 Hard Drives installed.
    The C: drive is an small SSD with only windows on it.
    The other drives have my applications and data.
    If I allow the installer to install grub to my C Drive will that create a "duel boot system"?
    I don't want a duel boot system. I want to use the F8 key to load the 60GB HD and boot from it.

I did try the Do Something Else option the first time I installed and tried to direct it to the 60GB drive but it didn't work.
    I guess I could disconnect all 5 drives and then try install but that sounds like a hassle.
    So what I need to do is get Disk #6 (the one I'm trying to install to) set up with a Grub MBR, right?
    There must be a "work around" to do with without having to disconnect all 5 other internal HD's
    By the way what does sda mean?

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it.

Bobrafa

Thanks for the reply

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In Linux, drives and partitions get names which are vastly different from in Windows. The first drive is usually /dev/sda, and the first partition is typically /dev/sda1

If you are installing Ubuntu onto the sixth hard drive in your system, it might be called sdf, and that is a good place to put GRUB. It will probably still be a dual-boot system, because the installation will detect that Windows is present, but it will only show up if you select that drive as the boot device. If I'm correct, you could make it the default boot device, and still select Windows at boot time -- and your SSD will not be affected.

Beans

Thanks gordintoronto,

When I boot to windows all I get is windows. The screen flashes a couple to times and a get a bump,bump,bump sound. But there's not duel boot.
    You are correct that the 6th drive is called sdf. It has a primary partition and a linux Swap partiton. But it's does not show up as a systems drive.
    I'm assuming that it does not have a MBR on it.
    How can I tell if Grub is installed to the dev/sda which my my ssd that has windows on it?
    I formated the drive with ext4 and tried several times to install ubuntu 13.04 to it.
    How do I create a MBR on sdf make it a systems drive and install Grub.
    I'm lost.
    Too many years with windows and I hate windows.
    Ho

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The BEST way to do this is what you already called a "hassle" -- disconnect ALL but the drive for Ubuntu, and installation will be a breeze. If you accidentally install GRUB to a Windows drive, you will inherit a much bigger "hassle" to remove that, reinstall the Windows MBR to that drive -- and you will then have to reinstall GRUB properly. A few minutes disconnecting and reconnecting drives is a lot less work than hours removing and replacing GRUB.
    Ubuntu 17.10 Mate, Mint 18.3 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Mark,

Ok, this sounds like the best option.
    I will disconnect all 5 of the other drives and boot from my thumb drive and install on to the 60 Gig.
    Last couple of questions question. I think that GRUB is already installed on my windows boot drive at C:.
    Is there anyway to tell if GRUB is installed on my boot drive?
    An if so is there a way to remove it?

Bob Rafalovich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bobrafa View Post
    Is there anyway to tell if GRUB is installed on my boot drive?
    Actually, one way is to disconnect all the drives containing Linux partitions (presuming you're looking for GRUB on a Windows drive) and then reboot. Since the working GRUB code is actually resident in a Linux filesystem partition, if GRUB still points to that, the booting will not succeed. You will get some kind of error message, or quite possibly, something like "GRUB>"
    An if so is there a way to remove it?
    Actually, there is. Using Win7, utilize the Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 repair CD. Then, with only the suspect drive connected, boot using that CD and proceed to the Command Line. Then enter the command "bootrec.exe /FixMbr".

For more details on Win7 boot repairs, see the following link (from the Win7 forums): http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ssing-fix.html
    Ubuntu 17.10 Mate, Mint 18.3 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Thanks Mark you've been a great help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by bobrafa View Post
    ...You are correct that the 6th drive is called sdf. It has a primary partition and a linux Swap partiton. But it's does not show up as a systems drive.
    I'm assuming that it does not have a MBR on it.
    How can I tell if Grub is installed to the dev/sda which my my ssd that has windows on it?
    I formated the drive with ext4 and tried several times to install ubuntu 13.04 to it.
    How do I create a MBR on sdf make it a systems drive and install Grub.
    I'm lost.
    Too many years with windows and I hate windows.
    Ho
    When you turn on the computer, lean on the Shift key. If the boot drive contains Grub, you will see a Grub menu.

Your sixth drive contains an MBR unless it is a GPT drive. If you Google GPT you will discover more than I want to know about it.

During installation, you can say "something else" about partitioning. Then you explictly set up at least the / (root) partition, and can specify where to put Grub. Put Grub on sdf, since you are really controlling things from the BIOS. Actually, you can just leave the BIOS pointing to that drive, and select Windows from the Grub menu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast