Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh my, Ubuntu how you've changed

Beans

Re: Oh my, Ubuntu how you've changed

You could always install the mini.iso and just install what you want instead of un-installing a bunch of stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Most of what you mention is not "junk". Ubuntu Software Center is a marketplace where you can EASILY install software regardless of whether it costs money or not. It has added a LOT of software to the Ubuntu platform.

Gwibber is a social networking client, and most computer users are into social networking.

Zeitgeist powers the Unity desktop's search abilities.

Geoclue provides location services to programs and websites that you allow, in much the same way as your mobile phone and its apps.

Apport helps you to report bugs.

The Shopping lens is easily disabled or removed.

Ubuntu had never been a community distro. It has always been a commercial distro. Sorry if this comes as a shock to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Junk is something that you don't use. just remove them or start with a minimal install. Don't see what the problem is. A new install of Ubuntu is still pretty small (can fit into a 4 G thumb drive) and the 'junks' that take up most space are not little apps like Unity one or music store which takes up miniscue space, but language packs which I never use (about half a G or more), those language packs have been there in a default install since way back in the "good old Ubuntu".
    This ^^. I am using English version and I will never use other version, eventhough English is not my first language. Why to download all language packs if I will never use them?

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    *Additions by me in bold*
    Most of what you mention is not "junk". Ubuntu Software Center is a marketplace where you can EASILY install software regardless of whether it costs money or not. It has added a LOT of software to the Ubuntu platform. A lot of software you can buy and it's a laggy resource hog

Gwibber is a social networking client, and most computer users are into social networking. I chose my own social networking and I don't need my computer being social for me, same goes for empathy - telepathy in fact and all the youtube, facebook, twitter etc plugins

Zeitgeist powers the Unity desktop's search abilities. It logs everything you do unless you blacklist everything folder by folder, thank you but no

Geoclue provides location services to programs and websites that you allow, in much the same way as your mobile phone and its apps. I don't want programs and services knowing where I am, it's usually used to provide targeted advertising anyway. My mobile does no such thing, it's a nokia 6310

Apport helps you to report bugs. It does it automatically and lags my system, programs should run when I tell them to not when they feel like it, same goes for whoopsie

The Shopping lens is easily disabled or removed. easily removed when you find out the proper name for it

Ubuntu had never been a community distro. It has always been a commercial distro. Sorry if this comes as a shock to you. I disagree, where would we be without the community sitting around doing nothing but helping people out with problems on the forums constantly, free helpfull advice and guidance in a quirky enviroment. That's why I stuck around in the first place I'm not against Canonical making a profit, I think it's a good thing that supports the buntu world...Just don't make a profit at the expence of my computer power or personal information
    There's a ton of other stuff I have to remove for their negative qualities as well but I don't want to go into everything lest it just looks like I'm Ubuntu bashing and I love Ubuntu, I think it's a great OS and with the world such as it is you don't get much for free. It's also continually saving my computer when it dies
    I think I'll take all your advice and give Xbuntu a shot
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by greatsirkain View Post
    There's a ton of other stuff I have to remove for their negative qualities as well but I don't want to go into everything lest it just looks like I'm Ubuntu bashing and I love Ubuntu, I think it's a great OS and with the world such as it is you don't get much for free. It's also continually saving my computer when it dies
    I think I'll take all your advice and give Xbuntu a shot
    Ok, so I'd like a Lean Mean Ubuntu OS on my laptop sooooooo, what do you remove, why and how do you remove it?
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Ok, so I'd like a Lean Mean Ubuntu OS on my laptop sooooooo, what do you remove, why and how do you remove it?

It's harder to remove stuff than to build from the bottom up. Start with a net or mini iso and build your way up rather.

Beans

you can also remove unwanted items in synaptic. you might have to install synaptic from software center. myself that is all i ever use the software center for , i prefer synaptic.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

yup synaptic is loads quicker to remove stuff rather than typing everything in + it describes what you're getting rid of.

I think mips called it about building up rather than breaking down so after looking at both X & L buntu I went with Lubuntu 10.04 it was around 500mb (got 12.04 as a back up just in case). Lubuntu clinched it for me just because of synaptic...Well and the fact that I used to use the newer version and before that I'd put LXDE straight onto Ubuntu so it's more familiar

I wanted (like loads of other folks I've shook my head at in the past) to build a kind of rainbow debian distro with the best bits from everything I've used like tails, backtrack, ubuntu etc but I dont realy know where to start so that idea's pretty much dead in the water.....for now lol
    Lubuntu: gets the me seal of approval ...I bet everyone involved is thanking their family, friends and god right now

Edit: lol that's all I use the software center for too, irony is I get rid of software center with it once I've got it. The update manager too sometimes
    Last edited by greatsirkain; June 6th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    You could always install the mini.iso and just install what you want instead of un-installing a bunch of stuff.
    This.

Instead of complaining, use the awesome tools you've been given, solve your own problems and live happily ever after.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by greatsirkain View Post
    yup synaptic is loads quicker to remove stuff rather than typing everything in + it describes what you're getting rid of.

I think mips called it about building up rather than breaking down so after looking at both X & L buntu I went with Lubuntu 10.04 it was around 500mb (got 12.04 as a back up just in case). Lubuntu clinched it for me just because of synaptic...Well and the fact that I used to use the newer version and before that I'd put LXDE straight onto Ubuntu so it's more familiar
    If you use synaptic in lubuntu remember to install apt-xapian-index. It is not installed in Lubuntu's version of synaptic so it's search function is disabled (presumably because it uses a bit more cpu cycles when indexing, but it is worth installing it if your computer is not too old, makes synaptic a lot more usable)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast