Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggest a good beginners book for Linux/Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: Suggest a good beginners book for Linux/Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I have a couple .pdf's downloaded and I can go on the Interweb to look stuff up but still, there's nothing like a good book to sit and read to learn stuff by. I loved the "Mac for Dummies" and "Mac OS X for Dummies" books that I had for my iMac because they'd explain it in a way that even I could understand,LOL. So, would the "Linux for Dummies" book be decent to learn some Terminal stuff with and other general Linux stuff do they have an "Ubuntu for Dummies" out that'd be even better? Thanks.
    Since you want to learn Linux, I'd like to suggest three books that have been--for me, as an almost Newbie in using Linux--especially useful in learning to use Ubuntu. They are:

1. "Ubuntu Made Easy: A Project-Based Introduction to Linux", (2012), by Rickford Grant and Phil Bull. This is an extremely readable book that takes you in easy steps from the very beginning till you will feel quite comfortable using Ubuntu Linux. Many of the projects that the author describes are things that you will want to add to your Ubuntu installation; some you may not want to bother keeping; but ALL of the projects will illustrate ways to accomplish a variety of things involved in using Linux. The book truly merits the word "Made Easy" in its title, and it covers Ubuntu up through version 12.04.

2. "Beginning Ubuntu Linux: Natty Narwhal Edition", (2011), by Emilio Roggi, Keir Thomas, and Sander van Vugt. Another very readable book, this goes into more detail than does the Grant book. Using this (before I discovered Grant's book), I found that it covered every problem I had encountered in my first trial installation of Ubuntu--the trial in which, I need to confess, I made a number of stupid mistakes. Had I read the chapters on installation in this book prior to that trial installation, it would have been smooth sailing. Its pages explain just about everything I can imagine wanting to know about Ubuntu up through version 11.04. (Keir Thomas has also written "Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference", which is available as a handy paperback book and also as a downloadable file: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html ).

3. "Linux in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference", Sixth Edition (2009), by Ellen Siever, et al. This is a fine reference book on Linux in general, including, for example, the most readable presentation of Linux commands of which I am aware. I find myself looking through its 944 pages (which include a detailed index) whenever the previous two books happen not to cover a topic to the depth that I would like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The GNU / Linux Desktop Survival Guide = perfect. Bookmarked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by FinalCoyote View Post
    The GNU / Linux Desktop Survival Guide = perfect. Bookmarked.
    And now I've got it Bookmarked too, thanks. Looks like a pretty good guide.

Also, just to add this, I checked and they do have an "Ubuntu for Dummies" book out.
    Last edited by TNFrank; June 6th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Thank you very much. these seem to be very good resources!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

this is not a book but more of a blog but the guy does an excellent job at explaining things and he has an ebook which I think is awesome at learning some basic command line stuff and a really good teaser into bash scripting. http://www.thegeekstuff.com/
    zealibib slaughter is a dwarven paladin of ill temperment played by a fat man of jolly temperment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12