Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about ubuntu's future

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: A question about ubuntu's future

One thing Ubuntu can do that Windows can't is read multiple file formats. Windows can read ntfs and FAT32. Ubuntu can do that PLUS read all the other formats.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

One of your questions asked about the benefits of using Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a linux based distribution, most of the underlying programs are available in any Linux distribution you choose to use. Things are easier to set up using Ubuntu, but if you learn how to use it, you shouldn't have a problem changing to any other distribution.

The main differences are the way packages (programs) are distributed, all of the Debian based distributions use .deb while the RedHat based distributions use .rpm. Aside from the way packages are distributed, you'll find that even if you use different Desktop Environments (LXDE, XFCE, KDE and Gnome) all the commands work the same way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

to be honest, in my case, i think ubuntu is prolonging my hardware lifespan.
    on windows 7, i don't know why, there are moments when my HDD is working as hell.
    and the temperature is 1-2 degrees lower in ubuntu than windows 7.
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans

With Kylin Ubuntu there is now going to be a big three instead of a big two, windows and macs, as far as domestically used systems are concerned, so it's future is assured. Potential "national system" is an encourageing thing to hear, when the nation saying it is China even more so.
    I suspect that the teams Canoical will be colaberating with know their stuff too, according to http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03...canonical_help They are
    "The National University of Defense Technology"
    and "The China Software and Integrated Chip Promotions Center"

As this is government backed business needs will be a priority so it is almost certain that stability and workflow will be centre stage. This may mean that whilst part of the goal is developmet anything which stalls business, such as huge changes and bugs, won't get in. For people running office machines this would be a blessing. This policy, if my guess is right, would allow ubuntu to make inroads into the corporate and educational sectors outside China too.
    Last edited by houseworkshy; June 5th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    One of your questions asked about the benefits of using Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a linux based distribution, most of the underlying programs are available in any Linux distribution you choose to use. Things are easier to set up using Ubuntu, but if you learn how to use it, you shouldn't have a problem changing to any other distribution.

The main differences are the way packages (programs) are distributed, all of the Debian based distributions use .deb while the RedHat based distributions use .rpm. Aside from the way packages are distributed, you'll find that even if you use different Desktop Environments (LXDE, XFCE, KDE and Gnome) all the commands work the same way.
    But Unity at the moment works only on Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by houseworkshy View Post
    With Kylin Ubuntu there is now going to be a big three instead of a big two, windows and macs, as far as domestically used systems are concerned, so it's future is assured. Potential "national system" is an encourageing thing to hear, when the nation saying it is China even more so.
    I suspect that the teams Canoical will be colaberating with know their stuff too, according to http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03...canonical_help They are
    "The National University of Defense Technology"
    and "The China Software and Integrated Chip Promotions Center"

As this is government backed business needs will be a priority so it is almost certain that stability and workflow will be centre stage. This may mean that whilst part of the goal is developmet anything which stalls business, such as huge changes and bugs, won't get in. For people running office machines this would be a blessing. This policy, if my guess is right, would allow ubuntu to make inroads into the corporate and educational sectors outside China too.
    I am quite interested in following this but from reading a few Chinese blogs it seems that many are skeptical, not of Ubuntu but of the government outfits that are involved.

Apparently kylin has a long history and it had many incarnations, Ubuntu-Kylin being the latest. At first it was billed as a "made in China" solution for technological independence and therefore recieved a lot of r&d grants. Then a scandal broke out because apparently 99% of Kylin's codes were the same as Freebsd (so these people got the OS for free but billed the government millions for it). This is not an isolated instance involving misuse of open source to scam grant money. Another instance was RedFlag Office. It was basically OpenOffice.Org with a Chinese interface and some minor tweaks but again it was sold to the government as a "made in China" solution and recieved a lot of grants until someone blew the whistle on them and I think (I could be wrong) the company that made it has since disappeared.

Some commenters expressed the worry that Canonical might be taken for a ride (one guy puts it thus: these people will bill the govt several millions, then give Canonical a thousand for unwittingly acting as their props and pocket the rest, in the end there is no R&D and no promotion and people will still be using pirated Windows). The inclusion of King Office WPS as the default also raises some eyebrows from FOSS advocates in China because it is seen by many as a MicroSoft trojan horse (it has high compability with MS formats because it is using MS codes by signing on to its EULA, as the allegation goes) Also Kylin 13.04 is not very impressive for those who look for a Chinese OS because it is basically the same as Ubuntu 13.04 with just some Chinese contents, the OS itself is still English (for example, login screen etc all in English) but it is only the first release, it will likely become more "Chinese" in 13.10 when they have the time to smooth out those things.

I will leave it at that, or it will be too much politics..
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 5th, 2013 at 07:23 PM.

Beans

I think all the answers can be summed up in a single word. Choices. IF i DONT LIKE unity i change to a different DE. i can write scripts to do this or that or automate it.
    greater security, less threat of viruses. applications available .

each and every one of us could install the same release and then make it our own by changing this or that . we could build our own release and release it.

so many things that can simply be summed up as choices.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    But Unity at the moment works only on Ubuntu.
    Ok, I take it back. Turns out Unity has been ported to ArchLinux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjT3sZQjfE

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

stalkingwolf
    I think all the answers can be summed up in a single word. Choices.
    Well said.

It's the primary reason I truly enjoy Linux - CHOICE. Sure beats the alternative.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

There is choice, freedom, customization, the ability to prolong the life of other wise outdated hardware (for instance I just re purposed a 10 year old laptop with 512mb of ram and a 1.6ghz Pentium m to me a media console for my tv using lubuntu) The fact that it is the little guy I have always rooted for the underdog. It is different.

As far as the future of Ubuntu I think it is pretty bright since they are making a lot of headway on being able to put it on a variety of devices and it all be the same OS instead of similar OSes like google, MS, and Apple do or at least that is what Ubuntu/Canonical claim anyway.

Also there is the fact that you or I or anyone here who wants to help with the development of Ubuntu or most linux distros for that matter can help in one way or another. Ubuntu maybe less than some of the others since it is Commercially backed but there is still things you can do.

For the trying to convince you part that I will not do. You can try it if you want, If it does all that you want it to do and you enjoy using it then use it if you don't then don't use it. I will tell you this I have had friends and family that have brought me their computers to clean them up because they riddled their windows with viruses, spyware, malware, and crap programs so I asked them if they would like to have an operating system that will not have these issues and put ubuntu, linux mint, or chromium OS on their system (based on how they used the computer in question) and most of them have not had an issue since. In fact I had a friend ask me to put 13.04 on his computer the other day. I always show them the basics of how to use the system show them were the software center is and they are happy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast