Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about ubuntu's future

Beans

A question about ubuntu's future

If it is possible i would like to know the future of ubuntu, i will setup some questions i have. (you might want to read through first before answering)

What makes ubuntu special? Why should i choose ubuntu and not windows or mac [besides that it is free]? (Try to convince me)

What is the future for ubuntu? (if the answere can be told/ if there are a planned future)

Will there be more developer kits to make games and other software to ubuntu? (Or if they alredy exists besides Quickly)

How will Ubuntu effect the pc industry in the future? Is it possible that ubuntu can revolutionize the pc world? (In what way?)

What can i do in ubuntu that i cannot in for example windows(7) ?

The reason i ask this questions is becouse windows(8) in my knowlage is not good for microsoft and i in general does not like windows and only use it for games and becouse it i preinstalled on my computer.
    I also ask this questions becouse i am not sure if Ubuntu is worth my attention (Don't missunderstand me i like it but i dont want to get used to a os that aren't going to last.) I like the ubuntu style, i have installing issues some times but it is not to much a problem and it is possible to get help. I wrote down what i want a os to be like, i also drew how it was supposed to look like, then i watched on youtube and he used ubuntu and it looked like i wanted an os to look like. Still i cant find anything i can do in ubuntu that i cannot do in other os's, Yes it is uniqe with the bar at the left but still it isen't to most important thing.
    There are pretty few programs, alot but in compaison to other os's it is guite a few and so are the game so i don't know what exactly is the uniqe thing about ubuntu.
    I beleve ubuntu can be made to be a wounderful os but so far i think ubuntu takes a little from mac os, a little windows. If microsoft is going the way they are i think they are going to crash to the very bottom of the trash but if windows is gone what is ubuntu offering that mac os does not?.

I hope i dident ask to much and give a feeling about being negative to linux. I se the possibilities but i am not sure yet.
    Last edited by Estrobeda; June 4th, 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Wrong title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A question about ubuntu's future[Not sure if this is the right place for this pos

My question is what do you want from OS beside playing games, running browser and office apps? Do you want it to look good, or do you want a rock solid OS, with for instance a bit more file system options than only one, a bit more control over your network/background services/security, and most important, do you want an OS provider telling you "This is the only way you can do something", or do you want a freedom to have multiple ways of doing things and doing it your way?

If you want to play games,running browser and office apps, I would recommend you to stick with your pre-installed Windows. If you want to explore and learn and on the end set things the way you want them with no restrictions go Linux, not Ubuntu, but any distribution... well any but maybe not RedHat.

This is only my opinion, I will always take Ubuntu, or any other Debian based Linux distribution before anything else. And I'll say again, if Windows OS makes you feel comfortable and you like it, than I like it also. If it's good for you, who am I to say otherwise.
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    S
    adly, technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand.
    Zacks

Beans

Re: A question about ubuntu's future[Not sure if this is the right place for this pos

I like to have the freedom of having multible ways to use your os, I like ubuntu's simple but yet proffesional style and i want an os that are fun to use, with that Ubuntu meets my requirements but i want to know if ubuntu have potential of expanding, maby focusing in games a little more, even though i dont play games to often so it isen't the problem. I know Windows will be alive a while longer most likely becouse of the gaming for the users but i just want a os which is stable, reliable, secure, easy to handle and manage and will either grow larger or be alive "not crashing like windows 8 did i dont know if it still does.
    I also want a os that are easy to controll and watch what programs are running and not, ex windows have alot programs running in the background and eats the ram and cpu, and you have to have a quite a bit of knowlage in order to turn them of. So if these kind of programs will be easier to handle in the futer it would be an bonus.
    But ubuntu seems to have installing issues with some programs, not to large problems and i might be the only one who have them but an easier installing manager would be nice to have, something that automaticly tries to solve the problems, again not to important,
    the important thing is if ubuntu have a future, is it worth trying ubuntu or should i focus my attention elsewere? You might ask what i do on the computer, the answere is Watch movies, play some games sometimes, programming a little on c,c++, drawing and internet, its about what i do.

Beans

Re: A question about ubuntu's future

I don't think your questions address your real needs and wants (media, games, light programming). And I think you are confusing a GUI design with the OS itself. In Windows the two are bundled, in Linux they are quite separate and endlessly reconfigurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrobeda View Post
    What makes ubuntu special? Why should i choose ubuntu and not windows or mac [besides that it is free]? (Try to convince me)
    Why should any OS be special?
    Why should we bother to convince you?
    What research have you done?
    Why did you choose to look further into Ubuntu?
    Why did you choose Ubuntu over other Linux distros for your further investigation?

What is the future for ubuntu? (if the answere can be told/ if there are a planned future)
    What kind of future do you want for Ubuntu? For other Operating Systems?
    Why do you believe that an Operating System must have a "future" goal or direction?
    Is there some feature you find Ubuntu lacking?
    Do you expect experimental projects to have clear long-term goals that won't change? Is that a realistic expectation?

Will there be more developer kits to make games and other software to ubuntu? (Or if they alredy exists besides Quickly)
    Are you planning to write games or other software? For what platform(s)? Are you experienced at it?

How will Ubuntu effect the pc industry in the future? Is it possible that ubuntu can revolutionize the pc world? (In what way?)
    Do you believe that revolutionary change can be predicted? If so, what is the next great revolution?
    Most people are not good at predicting winners. Are you?

What can i do in ubuntu that i cannot in for example windows(7) ?
    What do you want to do that you cannot do in Windows 7?
    What do you want to do that you cannot do in any other Operating System?

Beans

I know the diffrence between gui and os's, but its not what im after, i can try to rephrase.
    I want to know if ubuntu might be the "future" is it possible that ubuntu may take up more space in the pc world in the future, 5-15 years?
    About the research i got is from my own experience and documentation and some youtube videos.
    And about the programming, i just code for fun and it is possible it will be my future jobb but it still is more like a hobby.
    And as i told earlier i like the ubuntu style with the gui and the layout, but for example the installations, yes it is not a big problem even though i repeat it, in windows 7 i can navigate, install and uninstall, but windows in unsecure even with antu virus protection, it is ugly and the only reason i see why i should use it is becouse almost everything works in it. Will ubuntu in the future have support for more programs, and how long may it take to get it, It might seem this program question should be pointed at the developers for them but some developers and companies works to get them compatible ex valve if im not wrong, so at a guess would it take 5 or 100 years before some programs or alternative programs is made for ubuntu. There alredy are alternatives but still i think it is very few programs to chooce from.
    I am not good at explaining my toughts but i hope this helped a little of what im asking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

About the research i got is from my own experience and documentation and some youtube videos.
    And about the programming, i just code for fun and it is possible it will be my future jobb but it still is more like a hobby.
    And as i told earlier i like the ubuntu style with the gui and the layout, but for example the installations, yes it is not a big problem even though i repeat it, in windows 7 i can navigate, install and uninstall, but windows in unsecure even with antu virus protection, it is ugly and the only reason i see why i should use it is becouse almost everything works in it. Will ubuntu in the future have support for more programs, and how long may it take to get it, It might seem this program question should be pointed at the developers for them but some developers and companies works to get them compatible ex valve if im not wrong, so at a guess would it take 5 or 100 years before some programs or alternative programs is made for ubuntu. There alredy are alternatives but still i think it is very few programs to chooce from.
    I am not good at explaining my toughts but i hope this helped a little of what im asking.
    Ubuntu has the Software Centre which boasts more than 40 thousand pieces of software. You can easily add your software, even sell it.

Installing an app is just a click away.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu will be around for a very long time, just as the other two commercial Linux distros (Red Hat and SUSE). Linux distros that "may not last" are those which aren't supported by commercial interests (Novel, Red Hat, Canonical) and/or a huge, global community of contributors (Debian comes to mind).

Ubuntu, like the other commercial distros, is not one of those "community distros" that depend much more on community participation than corporate investment dollars and paid developers and marketers. From the very beginning Ubuntu has been a commercial distro, not a "community distro."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu is not an operating system. It is a Linux distribution. It is built upon many other components. Some of the developers are paid employees but many developers are volunteers and they work on projects that appeal to them. Some software projects continue and develop. Other software projects stop being developed.

Ubuntu is in some ways limited by the pace or speed of the development of the components that make up the distribution. If hardware manufacturers worked together with the developers of the Linux kernel in the same way that the manufacturers work with Microsoft, then the problems that some people have installing Linux/Ubuntu on the very latest machines would not exist.

The Grub-Linux-Gnome-ubuntu-others operating system would be useless without applications to run on them. And if those applications were of poor quality people would not want to use Linux. So, a lot depends upon developers that are not part of the Ubuntu development community.

The important thing about Ubuntu and some other Linux distributions is that we can try them without installing them to the hard disk. We can investigate the applications available. We should not think that Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution is like Apple or Microsoft. Things are done differently because every thing is different.

I see nothing wrong with using an operating system that you paid for when you purchased the machine. I did not want to use Windows. I did not buy a machine with Windows pre-installed. I built my own machine because I wanted to install Linux on it. I choose Ubuntu because it had a reputation for being designed for ordinary people to use. I continue to use Ubuntu because I can do everything that I want to do on a computer.

As for the future, you should remember that the future is another country. At Ubuntu.Com and Canonical.com you can see the future as far as April 2014 and not just on desktop computers. But beyond those plans already officially announced, no one knows the future.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 4th, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Look, this debate can go on forever, and you will not get a perfect answer on your questions. The facts are, for instance, I'm working at one large hosting company where me and my colleagues are looking after 5000+ server all running Debian/Ubuntu systems. Here I'm talking about cloud systems, big clusters and all the web services one can think of. Also 95% of world supercomputers are running Unix/Linux systems, Sony Playstation 3 is also running Unix based OS, Mac OS is Unix based, and on the end all Linux distributions are Unix based, and when talking about Ubuntu, all I can say it's part of all I mentioned. That's all, just a part of much broader picture, and that's how you should look on it also. You cant compare Ubuntu with Windows the way you would like to, but you can compare Windows with Linux/Unix, and again this is only my opinion, but Linux/Unix goes above and beyond everything Windows will ever be able to accomplish.

So I repeat again, if Windows are good for you, all your programs are working on them, you are able to play games and do a little hobby programming, stick to it, and work on your programming skills if you like it so much. And if you would like to try Linux, go with several distros, install them in virtual machines, study the documentation/wiki pages and if you still like Ubuntu, return here or check some other Ubuntu related online community and ask concrete questions. No offence but the questions you asked can be compared with ones like "What is the meaning of life" or "What are the origins of a universe". I hope this will not discourage you to further investigate Linux in general.
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    S
    adly, technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand.
    Zacks

Beans

Ok thanks for all the replies, its alot of answere and that what was i asked for and i got the information i wanted so again thanks for the replies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast