Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A question about ubuntu's future

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A question about ubuntu's future

It can feel quite liberating to use Linux. It doesn't keep annoying you with sounds and popup notifications ("Installing mouse driver..."), you never get a storm of Flash, Java and Adobe Reader updaters all asking for attention at the same time, and you nearly never see a Shareware reminder or a "trial version expired" notice.

Ubuntu can be quite exciting, actually. Every six months, thtere's new stuff to play with and use. The last couple of Ubuntu versions haven't had many interesting changes, but with Unity Next and Smart Scopes in development, there will be exciting new features in the operating system soon. Let's contrast that with Windows 7 and Windows 8 - the biggest headline features of Windows 7 were "it's faster than Vista and it has a new taskbar", and the biggest feature of Windows 8 is a supremely ugly and inconsistent user interface that few people actually like.

Not to mention, Ubuntu is a lot easier to install and set up. Bit of an anecdote: We bought a wireless printer to use with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. We let Windows "look for drivers" - well, it took ten or fifteen minutes to look, before we finally gave up and inserted the CD and double-clicked the installer. That took about seven or eight minutes. Ubuntu, however, already had the driver - we were printing a test page within one minute.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

What's interesting, is the assumption that Windows has an eternally secure future. Does it really? It seems so now, but great companies and great nations have come and gone, risen and fallen. And who truly knows the future of anything? Technology included.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Hi,
    I've done a essay which is about ubuntu from the beginnig up to now including the future,
    may everyone look into it and give some language hints?
    I'm from german and I speak not so much english

I wish a nice day

Beans

Hello ubuntu user,
    me again here is a part of the essay:

Future

Lately Ubuntu had developed a own Desktop environment called Unity but what will be the next step? Probably a completely new Linux system based on Ubuntu instead on Debian? I think the Debian base is also a big burden. And thats the reason for developing own components and be more and more independent. The next step is at work Canonical is working on a own Display Server named KIR. KIR replaces the X11-Server which was used for ages. Ubuntu will be more and more independent in the future that is my own opinion. However, what speaks against it to create a absolutely new and user-friendly system. But Ubuntu should not and cannot forget from whom it had benefited in the early beginning. There is only one Answer Debian. I hope that Ubuntu would not even be only a Windows-like interface on Linux. A first solution is on the way Ubuntu will enter the market on all devices including smart phones. If we look at Microsoft they haven't had so much success on the smart-phone market yet. And that could be a real good way to look at the market at all and not only on the Desktop and Server Market like Microsoft. Moreover Ubuntu has due to Debian which is very stable also on the Server market good chances. The Desktop Revolution is also on the run and if they still care on best quality software why should not more and more people jump on the Linux train. But I hope that Mark would be faithful to himself and to the whole Ubuntu community and Ubuntu will be free for many years. I think a operating system should be free, all people especially also poor people should have at least have a chance to have a free and open system on their computers. Whether they have problems they can look for help on the Internet or maybe fix it by her own.

every feedback are welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gnuser12 View Post
    Hello ubuntu user,
    me again here is a part of the essay:

Future

Lately Ubuntu had developed a own Desktop environment called Unity but what will be the next step? Probably a completely new Linux system based on Ubuntu instead on Debian? I think the Debian base is also a big burden. And thats the reason for developing own components and be more and more independent. The next step is at work Canonical is working on a own Display Server named KIR. KIR replaces the X11-Server which was used for ages. Ubuntu will be more and more independent in the future that is my own opinion. However, what speaks against it to create a absolutely new and user-friendly system. But Ubuntu should not and cannot forget from whom it had benefited in the early beginning. There is only one Answer Debian. I hope that Ubuntu would not even be only a Windows-like interface on Linux. A first solution is on the way Ubuntu will enter the market on all devices including smart phones. If we look at Microsoft they haven't had so much success on the smart-phone market yet. And that could be a real good way to look at the market at all and not only on the Desktop and Server Market like Microsoft. Moreover Ubuntu has due to Debian which is very stable also on the Server market good chances. The Desktop Revolution is also on the run and if they still care on best quality software why should not more and more people jump on the Linux train. But I hope that Mark would be faithful to himself and to the whole Ubuntu community and Ubuntu will be free for many years. I think a operating system should be free, all people especially also poor people should have at least have a chance to have a free and open system on their computers. Whether they have problems they can look for help on the Internet or maybe fix it by her own.

every feedback are welcome
    I think you mean mir.
    Never heard of KIR.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Kir is probably a fork of mir, after several folks have determined that mir doesn't work as well has good old X11.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Kir is probably a fork of mir, after several folks have determined that mir doesn't work as well has good old X11.
    Please provide a link. Thank you.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It was a joke. And not very funny.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Does it matter. All moves on. Today we are here, tomorrow we are else where. Life goes on and same with Linux.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123