Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wich soft to reframe a photo (Gimp seems awfull)

Beans

Question wich soft to reframe a photo (Gimp seems awfull)

I don't know if I missed a Gimp's feature, or if Gimp is not really made to reframe a photo
    (in fact, that's THE point that explain why I still use Photoshop...).

But I just would like to choose a rectangular crop AND a rotation TOGETHER and visualise it "in continue" before reframing.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and thank you for it!)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: wich soft to reframe a photo (Gimp seems awfull)

There might be a learning curve, but I'm happy using gimp for such tasks. However, there are linux tools that are easier to use, for example gthumb.

See the discussion is this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2149987

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nautilus addons nautilus-image-converter as well.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter
    Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

All the tools are there in Gimp
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Thank you all for your help !
    carl4926 : All the tools are there in Gimp
    OK you can crop a rectangle, OR rotate the picture... but is there really a tool that do it AT THE SAME TIME as in Photoshop ??? Which one ??????

sudodus/plucky : thank you for the idea of nautilus & gthumb I'll see that this evening
    Last edited by FroggySeven; June 4th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you want to edit single pictures or do you want to do batch jobs and treat many pictures in the same way?

Anyway, cropping and rotation are two separate operations, that have to be done one after another in any software package. Usually cropping is done manually (to fit the particular picture). Rotation can sometimes be done automatically (depending on the information from the camera).

If you want to do batch jobs, imagemagick convert is a good choice (if you can run terminal window commands).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FroggySeven View Post
    Thank you all for your help !
    OK you can crop a rectangle, OR rotate the picture... but is there really a tool that do it AT THE SAME TIME as in Photoshop ??? Which one ??????

sudodus/plucky : thank you for the idea of nautilus & gthumb I'll see that this evening
    I'd like to reverse the question: Just what is the command in Photoshop that does simultaneous cropping and rotating? I don't recall such a command (but I haven't used Photoshop for some years; perhaps it's a recently added command).

Beans

Thanks a lot to really try to understand my problem

rewyllys : excellent idea. When you chose the reframe tool "1", you can both crop AND rotate when mouse cursor have the shape "2".

( Noisette -nut- and Tigri -Tiger+grey- )

sudodus : I agree with you when there's some obvious horizontal or vertical line in the photo.
    But sometime there's no obligation at all to chose a line, or as in my exemple, to much lines.
    In those cases, choice of rotation depends directly of the crop (narrow crop, large crop, line near the border or not, and so on...)

By the way, in my far youth, I used as all photographer two set square to chose the reframing before using the cutter
    (it is what means the shape "1"), precisely to crop and rotate at the same time.

Moreover, the choice of the rotation depends sometime of the size of surface "3" you have to "rebuilt" after a rotation.
    Small crop, small rotation else too much work to do. Big crop allowed big rotation. Difficult to chose -> we have to see that together.

So, does this tool exist somewhere in gimp ?
    Last edited by FroggySeven; June 4th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

To my knowledge, no, there is no such combined tool in Gimp. There is cropping, there is rotation, there is perspective (where you can stretch or shrink pulling corners), there is mirroring. But they are separate operations to be performed one after another.

Beans

OK. So I won't waste my time looking for it, and rather test nautilus & gthumb !

PS: I wasn't talking about batch...( I wonder how automatic reframing could be done )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast