Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wich soft to reframe a photo (Gimp seems awfull)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: wich soft to reframe a photo (Gimp seems awfull)

The nautilus plugin & gthumb are very simple tools with very few bells and whistles. (Nautilus is the file browser.) I think you are searching for some professional tool.

Have a look at this link (it is a bit old, but you might get good tips ...)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1882838

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

If your favorite app is in Windows you can still use it in a virtual machine. Just install oracle virtual box. Also try xnviewmp, mp stands for multi-platform, works in both windows & linux.

Beans

sudodus : I tried gthumb, and you're right, it is too simple. There is quater-rotation only !
    I didn't succed in using nautilus... but if you say it's the same...
    But your link is very interesting. There talking for instance of darktable... I'll try this first.

Rebellious : That is a good idea... I haven't tought about But I am fan of Ubuntu of course, and I still hope there is some soft somewhere to do the very basic work of a photographer : reframing ( Or we'll have to program it !!! )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

well, everybody whines how gimp sucks for professional work and how it will never be on par with photoshop, so it's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Less exposure, fewer programmers working on it, harder to keep up with the feature creep in the industry.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Some people whine, but many people are happy with gimp. I use it and I like it
    Last edited by sudodus; June 6th, 2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: removed quote

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FroggySeven View Post
    sudodus : I tried gthumb, and you're right, it is too simple. There is quater-rotation only !
    I didn't succed in using nautilus... but if you say it's the same...
    But your link is very interesting. There talking for instance of darktable... I'll try this first.

Rebellious : That is a good idea... I haven't tought about But I am fan of Ubuntu of course, and I still hope there is some soft somewhere to do the very basic work of a photographer : reframing ( Or we'll have to program it !!! )
    xnview has both Linux & Windows version. VMs let you run both OSes simultaneously so you can run your favorite apps without rebooting. Xnview has a "batch conversion" tool which includes crop, resize and rotate...

Beans

I haven't tried darktable yet... waiting for it :

About Gimp and "self fulfilling prophecy" don't think to shut the curtain and to say tchoo tchoo will allow the train to start again
    More seriously, it's important to be fair about what we can do with ubuntu to seduce people instead of disgusting them.
    I'm not like this, cause I feel Ubuntu is much more than something free, but lots of people will tried it only once. We have only one chance to seduce them.
    If today someone asks me if ubuntu is fine for photos, I will say no, to keep the possibility I'll change his mind later.

To make positiv critics : how to able this sort of reframing in Gimp (that is dumb for a programmer) ? How to ask for it ? Can I help ?

ahallubuntu : do you sometime have to 'reconstruct' part of the image after a rotation as the part "3" of my example (with the cats) ???

Beans

bad new : darktable cuts much too much the borders of the photo during rotations...

good new : with Gimp, it's possible to move strait with the mouse the center of the rotation, that translates the photo (horizontal and vertical moves are just reversed).
    It's not so efficient than photoshop's interface, but allows quite good to tests what will do the rectangle-crop after the rotation.

(but I always wonder how to participate to gimp's developpement...)

Beans
    Hidden!

Test if you can establish cooperation with some guy via this page

http://www.gimp.org/develop/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast