Thread: Chrome crashing to password/login screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Chrome crashing to password/login screen.

I'm happy with my 12.04 xfce with gnome instead of unity, with my 1 GB ram I had to get almost PURE and clean, no cairo or docky, no compiz, ccsm, opengl ~ no candy at all!. Just 333GB on 2 HDDs.
    I still have those deadly log on choices of Unity 2D and Gnome Classic (no effects) that leave me in Limbo Yet my threads go unanswered, like I used a bad word or everyone knows how it can(not) be done?
    So, my last modern contact has been google-chrome and the cloud empires. Yessirree, now chrome crashes my system within 15 seconds of starting it up. I have tried purging it and reloading it from the ppa, I'll try purging it and downloadingan old .tar.bz.I really need ideas here, Mozilla nononononoooo are there any easy good ones that are current? As in log-in anywhere, etc? Is xxx-browser usable?
    Thank you, chemo starts next week!
    Thank you for your time Megenk
    Last edited by megenk11; June 6th, 2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: The title was sensless, sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I am boring to the drive, and Chrome is still crashing me back to password/login.

Hi megenk11.

Some people don't have the same setup as you, so they can't answer your question.

Don't take it personally.

I don't have chromium, so can't help with that.

Why don't you like mozilla?

Best wishes for the chemo.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I am boring to the drive, and Chrome is still crashing me back to password/login.

megenk11; Hey ...

Login manager: How 'bout doing without one completely? I do. And it is just as fast to login from terminal as to wait on the login gui and then still log in. Else, remove the present login manager and install another.

Google_chrome : You running 32 bit or 64 bit ? I use google_chrome on this 64 bit system with ubuntu 13.04 minimal install... installing the libudev0_175ubuntu13_amd64 library was required. Recon 12.04 version needs this library installed ?
    When you (re-)installed were you all updated and upgraded on your install ?

help where I can

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

Thank you Bashing-om, that is a fresh ubuntu idea! I hope removing my login/splash page whilst making a menu or terminal available proves as fun (adventurous) as it sounds. It ought to solve my dangerous "click and crash" unusable Unity and Gnome choices at xubuntu login page that I uninstalled but would not go quietly. I am going to learn to do it now, then maybe I can get Chrome back also, I remember a time it was not troublesome and that was before I added more RAM and installed 12.04 with a full live CD. I had only previously used mini.iso's, they are excellent. I will be reading /NewDocs first. Thank you again Megen

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I am bereft,bare,5 star sober,Chrome is still crashing to password/login screen.

Are you using Chrome or Chromium-browser? My experience is that today Firefox uses less memory and works better than before and better than Chromium-browser. I have not used Chrome in linux.

XFCE is a desktop environment of its own, not a flavour of Gnome (although the desktop can be tweaked to look like a Gnome desktop). If you want something lighter, try Lubuntu with LXDE, and if you want to run really light, at the log in screen, select the Openbox window manager (not even a desktop environment). Right-click on the grey background and get a terminal window. From there you can do 'everything', and really without eye-candy that makes the system slow down.

Beans

Re: I am bereft,bare,5 star sober,Chrome is still crashing to password/login screen.

Take a look at the contents of /usr/share/xsessions/. You can rename whichever you don't wish to see in your log in screen from *.desktop to *.desktop.bak.

Beans
    Distro

Thamk you very much! I am off to look at your you tube links. Megen