Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot into Windows 7 partition after dual boot installation

Beans

Can't boot into Windows 7 partition after dual boot installation

m trying to set up a dual boot on a UEFI ASUS GV75 laptop. I have 2 drives a SSD with the windows EFI partition and windows OS on it, I also have a SATA drive with data and some programs installed on it.

I removed the SSD from my computer before I installed ubuntu.
    I want to install Ubuntu on the SATA partition. I use Windows to shrink the SATA drive. I boot to the ubuntu disk and set up my partitions (a 300 mb partition for Ubuntu EFI, a 25 GB partition for swap space, and a 300gb EXT 4 root partiton).

Ubuntu installs fine, and I am able to boot to ubuntu, so I put the SSD back in my computer. But when I try to boot to Windows the computer just reboots, then boots into Ubuntu. I don't know how the Windows boot manager got messed up since I took out the SSD before installing Ubuntu.

After som eresearch I found this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2116610 (particulary the 6th post), but after running boot repair, the ubuntu boot loader added the windows boot manager, but when I select it it gives an error saying that the boot manager is missing, and still fails to boot into windows.

So I'm at the point now where I did a restore on my computer and am back to just windows 7, but I would like to get ubuntu and windows working in harmony together. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Can't boot into Windows 7 partition after dual boot installation

Ok, so the problem seems to be something that happens when I install to the Sata hard drive (this sata hard drive does have some files installed on it (like office, and steam, etc...)). I installed ubuntu to an external hard drive just to test and I am able to boot into both operating systems successfully (except Ubuntu is kind of slow running of the external USB drive). So I don't really want to kepp ubuntu on the external drive, I'd prefer to partition off some space for it on the SATA drive, but when ever I do that it messes up windows. I'm at a bit of a loss here, as I don't know what I need to do to proceed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post the 'BootInfo Summary' that Boot-Repair tool generates and post the link here.

If your SSD is pre-installed then know that some OEM's use SSD in RAID mode and use the SSD for cacheing. To boot Ubuntu in RAID mode requires a different approach. Check in your BIOS to see what SATA Mode is enabled.
    Also, if you have 'Intel SRT' then you have to disable it.

Its very difficult to diagnoze the issue without 'BootInfo Summary'.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

The SSD isn't OEM, everything (including Windows was intstalled after market)
    The SATA Controler is in IDE mode
    I couldn't find Intel SRT, so I'm going to assume I don't have it.

Here are the results of the boot-repair:

Results of initial boot-repair (Windows SSD isn't installed)
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5737631/

So I continued to follow the directions in the link in my first post.

I reinstalled the Windows SSD and booted in Ubuntu and ran boot-repair again.
    This time a message came up and said EFI Detected. Please check the options. I clicked OK. Here's the boot-repair summary:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5737691/

Results of Recommended Repair:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5737707/

I reboot the computer and the ubuntu boot loader looks like this:
    Ubuntu
    Advanced options ofr Ubuntu
    Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi
    Windows boot UEFI loader
    Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi sdb5
    Windows boot UEFI loader sdb5

If I choose Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi or Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi sdb5 I get this error:
    Error: no such deviceon BC-11FE2A
    Error: file '/EFI/microsoft/boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi' not found
    Press any Key to Continue

If I choose Windows boot UEFI loader or Windows boot UEFI loader sdb5 I get this error:

Error: file '/EFI/microsoft/boot/bkpbootx64.efi' not found
    Press any Key to Continue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Your /dev/sda is using GUID Partition Table, GPT but your /dev/sdb is NOT.
    Model: ATA OCZ-AGILITY3 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 240GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt

Model: ATA ST9750420AS (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 750GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos
    If Windows is installed on /dev/sda then it is booting in UEFI mode but the OS on /dev/sdb is NOT.
    To be able to successfully dual-boot with UEFI we need both the OS to be installed in UEFI mode. And to Boot in UEFI, GPT is a pre-requisite.

Make sure you can boot Win7, if not do a Widnows repair and fix it.

You will have to change the partition table on /dev/sdb to GPT. ***This WILL remove all partitions and the DATA on it. BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA first.
    After creating the new GUID partition table using Gparted, create the first partition as:
    /dev/sdb1 300MB FAT32 and put a 'Boot' flag on it. This partition will be use for EFI boot.

Ubuntu MUST be installed in UEFI mode only. And GRUB must be installed on /dev/sdb only
    Last edited by fantab; June 6th, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First, having the SATA mode in IDE is a real blow to the speed, especially for the SSD. You should have changed it to AHCI before installing win7, because it gives you issues if you try to change it later.

Second, and maybe more important, on UEFI systems there should be only ONE EFI partition as far as I know. If that is true, you CAN NOT remove the SSD when installing ubuntu because the EFI grub files need to go to the same EFI partition.

EDIT: As for the partition tables, that's not a real problem. sda has gpt because windows can work in uefi only on gpt. Ubuntu can work on either combination of legacy boot/uefi and msdos/gpt tables. So, the table on sdb can be msdos and ubuntu to be installed in uefi mode too.
    Last edited by darkod; June 6th, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

I'm a bit confused here. It seems like Darkod and fantab are saying different things.

Fantab: "Ubuntu MUST be installed in UEFI mode only. And GRUB must be installed on /dev/sdb only"

Darkod: "Second, and maybe more important, on UEFI systems there should be only ONE EFI partition as far as I know. If that is true, you CAN NOT remove the SSD when installing ubuntu because the EFI grub files need to go to the same EFI partition.

As for the partition tables, that's not a real problem. sda has gpt because windows can work in uefi only on gpt. Ubuntu can work on either combination of legacy boot/uefi and msdos/gpt tables. So, the table on sdb can be msdos and ubuntu to be installed in uefi mode too."

Darkod is saying Ubuntu can be installed in either UEFI or legacy boot and GRUB needs to go on the EFI partition, which Would be the windows EFI partition on sda. But then Fantab is saying Ubuntu can only be installed in UEFI mode and GRUB needs to be on sdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

GRUB is not installed to any MBR of any disk in uefi mode. In other words, it will not be installed on /dev/sdb in any case. Unless you used manual install and told it to install on /dev/sdb in which case it might install there (I haven't checked), but it will not be used.

UEFI boot works in different way, so both windows and ubuntu don't install a bootloader to the MBR of any disk. If you look in the second bootinfo link you posted in post #4, with the SSD connected, it clearly says there is no bootloader on sda, the SSD. Yet, windows was booting just fine before the ubuntu install. That's because UEFI systems boot from the EFI partition, not from any MBR of any hdd present. That's why you need to have only one EFI partition so that all OSs have their boot setup there.

Ubuntu must be installed in uefi mode too, to have a uefi dual boot, but that doesn't mean the table needs to be gpt. This is true only for windows. Ubuntu should install just fine on msdos disk in uefi mode.
    Darko.

Beans

darkod, so what your saying is I should reinstall Ubuntu but leave the SSD in while I'm doing the install and have the Ubuntu EFI on the same partition as the Windows EFI (on the SSD)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes. But there is no such thing as "ubuntu efi". There is only one efi partition and the ubuntu installer will find it and use it for the bootloader files. You don't create another efi partition yourself.
    Darko.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast