Thread: Playlist auto-update script

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Playlist auto-update script

I'm trying to write a script to auto-update several large playlists in Audacious which each pull from a single static location. Basically, what I want the script to do is clear each playlist, rescan its respective folder, and then add all the files in those folders to the playlist. I played around with xmms2 for a bit, but it isn't compatible with audacious' proprietary file format. I need it to be a seamless solution, without having to re-import. Basically, I'm asking for a program with an interactive command line interface which can edit playlists and is compatible with Audacious's .audpl format. Any ideas?
    "You know how I know Kate supports every single programming language known to man? Because it supports Wesnoth Markup Language, that's why." - walyndrist

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Playlist auto-update script

Are you asking for help so you can write this program?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

All I really need is to know of a CLI that could do it, I could write the program with expect. Unless there's another way to do it I'm not thinking of?
    "You know how I know Kate supports every single programming language known to man? Because it supports Wesnoth Markup Language, that's why." - walyndrist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

very very ugly script utilizing xdotool on audacious window
    i suggest backing up contents of $HOME/.config/audacious before testing because the script wipes the config so it doesn't have to worry about the current state.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

acfg=$HOME/.config/audacious

# associative array of ["playlist name"]="path"
    declare -A playlists
    playlists=(
                ["playlist 1"]="$HOME/Music/Dir1"
                ["playlist 2"]="$HOME/Music/Dir2"  
              )

rm -r "$acfg"  # delete audacious config

for p in "${!playlists[@]}"
    do
      # name current playlist
      audacious &      # run audacious
      sleep 1
      xdotool search --onlyvisible --class audacious windowactivate    # activate player window
      sleep 0.1 && xdotool key F2  && sleep 0.1    # rename current playlist   (F2)
      xdotool type "$p" && sleep 0.1 && xdotool key Return && sleep 0.1    # type playlist name
      xdotool key ctrl+q && sleep 2    # quit (CTRL+Q) and give some time to save state

# add to current playlist from cmdline
      audacious -e "${playlists[$p]}" &     # run audacious, add files to active playlist
      sleep 2
      xdotool search --onlyvisible --class audacious windowactivate
      sleep 0.1 && xdotool key ctrl+t && sleep 0.1 # add new playlist
      xdotool key ctrl+q && sleep 2  # quit
    done
    while the audpl is human readable it would be painful to create by hand because it stores a lot of very specific data that is not trivial to obtain, so i chose to emulate clicks on audacious window to create and name playlists - this way it's the player itself that manages the playlists so everything should be fine.
    Script works fine on my test setup, but i don't know if for example sleep intervals will be enough to manage heavier/numerous playlists.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls