Thread: Evolution can't set up Gmail IMAP account

Beans

Evolution can't set up Gmail IMAP account

Hey folks,

The last days, I desperately tried to set up an gmail account (IMAP) in Evolution.

My distro is Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome Shell ("Ubuntu Gnome") and I installed Evolution 3.6.2. At the moment, I'm using Thunderbird without any problems, but I'd like to try Evolution.

When I start Evolution, the Evolution Account Assistant starts up and I can configure my account without any problems. I'm using these instructions: http://wazem.blogspot.de/2007/10/hot...ution-and.html
    I also have IMAP activated in Gmail (obviously, since I'm already using IMAP successfully in Thunderbird). When the Account Assistant is finished, Evolution starts, but there's no account created. Only "on this computer". When I restart Evolution, the Account Assistant pops up again and I can create my account again, which again leads to no result. So my account is not only not working, it's not even created.

Can anybody help me with this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
    Simon
    Last edited by simon1986; June 2nd, 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Beans

Re: Evolution can't set up Gmail IMAP account

Do you have the folders called .evolution and .gnome2_private/Evolution in your home folder? Show the hidden files and see if these folders are there. Then, check the .gnome2_private/Evolution folder to see if any info about your gmail account is being stored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Check for more current instructions (2007) . I encountered this problem on a different mail client and the sever information provided with the instruction was outdated so no account was created.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thank you for you answers.

@charlotte: No there's nothing happening in these folders, they're empty.

@Frogs Hair: I've noticed that the instructions are old, but there are several comments on that page, stating that they still work. But I'll try it with the latest instructions.

Beans

Hey,

I fixed it. It's a reported bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1049028

When setting up the account, I had to uncheck the options "Add Google Calender" and "Add Google Contacts". It's working now.

Simon