Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Problem with Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by mikep6321 View Post
    How do I know what is the right refresh rate?
    You don't, by default. The refresh rate is a factor in the clarity of the display and changes based on the resolution. In general, flat panels today tend to use a refresh rate of 60Hz (meaning, the display refreshes 60 time-per-second). But, newer displays are coming out all the time and recently, I saw one mentioned that uses a refresh rate of 200Hz.

Where do I find the refresh rate?
    For (1) the monitor, or (2) the OS running on the PC?

Every monitor has a limited set of refresh rates it can support. This is generally contained in any documentation that comes with the monitor. IF the monitor also has an OSD (On Screen Display), it will have menus for changing refresh rates -- and it will not allow you to set a refresh rate it not support.

The OSs, both MS Windows and Linux distros, have apps that allow you to set both screen resolution and refresh rates. In recent Ubuntu versions, this is the Display app which is found using the Dash. By default, the Ubuntu panel only displays resolutions and refresh rate combinations that the video drivers AND the monitor support.

How does the refresh rate get changed on all computers?
    This is just guesswork on my part because it can happen any number of ways. Someone could access the OSDs for all the monitors and change the refresh rates. Someone could access the screen apps for all the OSs and change the resolutions and refresh rates.

If you're asking how does it happen without human intervention, it does not. Monitors don't just change their display settings, nor do PCs. Someone has to intervene to make this happen.

But ... it can happen easily if someone is messing around with driver updates and/or OS updates/upgrades.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Still a problem. But I did have a notice box that came up. It said "your comuter is running on low resolution mode". It gave me three choices one of which one was to run in this mode for one session only and another was to change the mode to the preset mode. I said fix the problem now and hit next. Unfortunately nothing happened. Now my question is where is the resolution mode at in the file sytem and once I find it how do I change the resolution.

PS I have tried every setting combination in the system settings and every monitor setting in the monitor setup.

Mikep

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am still puzzled by your original statement:
    ...My monitor worked great for over 3 months then one day all 3 computers in my office went to this odd and very problematic pixelated look 5 days ago. It is like being seasick using this computer.

It has affected every monitor on my network including my older XP Pro system...
    While it is possible that all your Ubuntu installations on multiple PCs could show similar problems if they were all installed from a single DVD that has corrupted data on it, this cannot have any effect on your XP installations unless you are running Wubi. So, please clarify the following:

1. Did you originally install Ubuntu on multiple PCs using the same 12.10 DVD?
    2. Did you originally install Ubuntu on a different partition to XP (i.e. not as a Wubu install)?

Still a problem...
    I presume you are referring to running your Live DVD (12.10) with the "Try Ubuntu without installing" option? If this is the case then do you get the same problem with only one or all the PCs? If only one PC/monitor has the problem then we should concentrate on resolving this. If the problem is seen on multiple PC/monitors then it seems your Ubuntu DVD is corrupted and you should download it again and burn a new DVD. Make sure the MD5sum is correct to verify a good download.
    PS I have tried every setting combination in the system settings and every monitor setting in the monitor setup.
    I suggest you reset the monitor(s) to default settings and then leave the controls alone. Ubuntu should normally work with monitors straight out-of-the-box.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12