Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Install NVidia Drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to Install NVidia Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    The "Graphics: Unknown" is not a big deal. Just install mesa-utils and it will recognize your graphics card
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

But it would be helpful if you post the full terminal results.

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia 
    sudo apt-get update 
    find /etc/apt -name '*.list' -exec bash -c 'echo -e "\n$1\n"; cat -n "$1"' _ '{}' \;
    Although i cant post the results of this command as my system has crashed and is being redone i will once its back up and running.
    Hopefully it may provide some insight into something that may help somebody else with this graphics card.

If you have any other ideas though im all ears.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R View Post
    So today im installing it all over again and thank god i had things backed up. So i guess its back to the drawing board with this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert R View Post
    Although i cant post the results of this command as my system has crashed and is being redone i will once its back up and running.
    Hopefully it may provide some insight into something that may help somebody else with this graphics card.

If you have any other ideas though im all ears.
    If you re-installed Ubuntu then the results does not matter.

Please close this thread as SOLVED, although I'm not a fan of re-installations in Linux.

See my signature on a How To mark the thread as solved.

Regards
    NikTh

Beans

I had the same problem on my third installation. I couldn't even reboot because I got a screen that said I had a graphics problem. I selected the trouble shoot option and got the terminal. I couldn't really understand what I was looking at, but towards the very end I read a line that stated the Nvidia driver couldn't be intalled because there was already one installed. I had now way of knowing how to uninstall one and install the new. On the installation from the DVD I found the "additional drivers" icon and clicked it. I got the screen that showed 3 Nvidia drivers. I activated all 3, rebooted and had a good screen. The next time I dicided to go with a side by side installation. This time there were no dirvers in the additional driver screen so I went to Nvidia and downloaded the driver and installed il with wine program. It worked and I proceeded with the setup. The problem there was I got a notification that there were almost 300 updates that needed to be installed.

I started that process and eventually was told that there wasn't enough disk space which was impossible because I have a 500 gig hd. I did an uninstall after hours of trying to make it work. The next time I did an install with Penn Drive for Linux. It enable me to partition my hard drive and install 13.04. I choose that one because I didn't want to mix it up with the 12.01 that was having all the problems. Before installing Ubuntu uninstalled all the old files. The Nvidia problem was still there, but the additional driver icon, which I had to search for because it wasn't on the launch bar, got me the Nvidia driver screen. This one was more legible and the descriptions were better. I still wasn't sure which one to choose so I started with the last one in line and it turned out to be not compatible with my system so I went up to the next one and it was. I rebooted and everything is fine (so far), but since I have all the software I want and all my pictures, video and music files transferred, I'm good to go. The updates and software are installed with the OS install so you don't have to worry about that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123